Ph/kh/gh

Lou

Hey all! I didn't research enough before I got fish and did a fish in cycle. I KNOW, a big no no, HOWEVER, we are coming around and water is much better. 

with that being said, my ph, kh, gh are pretty low out of the tap. I've tried researching and once again everything is contradictory. I've ordered some crushed coral from ACO. 

My question though, is for my 20 gallon, how much? I don't want the ph to spoke and kill all of the remaining fish. In the tank the ph fluctuates at about 6.4 to 7.2. Water was still soft and alkalinity was low. I can't remember right off hand and I'm out of strips (with more on way). 

I don't have a LFS near me either. Will the ph level out once tank is fully cycled? Or do I just deal with the low readings and get fish that will survive? There is a mystery snail and 3 platys 

The main question is what fish do you have. Live bearers and snails need a bit of hard water. The rest may be just fine in your tap. And that’s the easiest way to do it. Find the fish to fit your water. 

And of course, what fish do you really want. And we can work on getting you that 

• Like 1

Right now there are 3 platys and 1 little guppy, I forgot about him. I originally had a ten gallon but it was a nightmare. Once I switched to the 20, the nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates improved. There are about 11 plants right now, some Java fern, Anubia, a banana plant, some Java moss, Java fern, and I think it is wisteria, and elodea at the top. 
I am fine with the little fish, they all seem like survivors so far. I would really like a centerpiece fish. I do enjoy the little guppy though, so maybe a couple more of those guys. 

Ok, and that is safe for them? Are there other fish that may like that ph? 

I just don't want to have to add chemicals or stuff all the time to make sure they're okay, I already worry enough about them lol. 

what about my plants, should they be ok

• Like 1

@Lou I would research soft water species and hard water species. Your current fish are all hard water species. @Tony s suggestion is spot on. They’ll love the increase in minerals and it’s not overnight so nothing will be shocked. You need to research and narrow down what kind of fish (species names) and then working with your water will become easier. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Lou I would research soft water species and hard water species. Your current fish are all hard water species. @Tony s suggestion is spot on. They’ll love the increase in minerals and it’s not overnight so nothing will be shocked. You need to research and narrow down what kind of fish (species names) and then working with your water will become easier. 

Okay, so maybe just add the media bag with the coral when I get it. Should I do the entire pound or half pound? 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 3:46 PM, Lou said:

I just don't want to have to add chemicals or stuff all the time to make sure they're okay, I already worry enough about them lol. 

Well adding crushed coral is releasing calcium and carbonates to the water…

with soft water if you do a deep water change the ph, kh and gh will drop significantly afterwards and gradually increase over time…

I have very soft water and weekly do a 75% water change and when refilling with my soft tap water I add 1 teaspoon of Calcium Sulfate and 1/4 teaspoon of Magnesium Sulfate to a quart mason jar filled with water and stir it well and slowly add that water while my pyton fills the tank back up.

(bear in mind those measurements were calculated for the amount of water being replaced, the GH of my tap water and the target GH I am aiming for.  I hope nobody decides to blindly dose their tank based on those measurements…. You need to calculate it for your particular circumstances, not mine…)

The water in my tank has the same GH, Ph, and KH after water change as before.

And with a planted tank, my GH is not magnesium deficient as it would be if I were relying on crushed coral.

I just dont get the “I dont want to add chemicals to my tank” mantra, but then add crushed coral…  I originally was swayed by thar argument when I started and went the crushed coral route, but  didnt take long to get rid of it and dose my replacement water to keep stability of GH and KH…  my plants like the new method much better…

but to each his own….

Edited by Pepere

My LDS said I shouldn't do more than 30% water change. I am not certain how to calculate all that either. I just have a 20 gallon and we're just trying to be simple while keeping every fish happy

• Love 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:30 AM, Lou said:

am not certain how to calculate all that either. I just have a 20 gallon and we're just trying to be simple while keeping every fish happy

There is indeed a bit of a learning curve, but once learned it is not difficult.  Online calculators do the hard work.

if you are not keeping extensive plant or more demanding plants, crushed coral is ok… I would opt for more frequent smaller water changes in that case to avoid the fluctuations inherent in crushed coral and very soft water…

• Like 1