Betta Terrorizing Amano Shrimp

Vonz1

Hello,

I have one male betta in a 16 Gal tank and I added 2 small Amano shrimp in a heavy planted tank. The betta chassed the shrimp and badgered them when they were eating algae in the open. Now I rarely see one an have to carefully search the plants or deep grass to find them. They are constantly hiding. I am thinking about getting XL Amanos next. Anyone have experience with larger Amanos and a bully Betta getting along?? Thanks.

Imo the issue is your betta more than the size of the shrimp. Even if you get bigger Amano (the ones you have will grow eventually), your betta will most likely still chase them and make them hide.  Every betta has a personality, you got one that likes to chase shrimp.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:11 AM, NOLANANO said:

Imo the issue is your betta more than the size of the shrimp. Even if you get bigger Amano (the ones you have will grow eventually), your betta will most likely still chase them and make them hide.  Every betta has a personality, you got one that likes to chase shrimp.  

Ok thanks. Ugh. If I show him a decal of a Khloe Loach and he flares and chases it too.  Guess he cant have any tank mates. 

On 8/20/2024 at 8:37 AM, Vonz1 said:

Ok thanks. Ugh. If I show him a decal of a Khloe Loach and he flares and chases it too.  Guess he cant have any tank mates. 

If tank mates are new, there is a chance that he grow bored of them and eventually leaves them alone.  There is also a chance that he doesn't. Its also possible that he sees shrimp as food but would ignore a Khuli loach or some other fish.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The tank mates are new, he badgers the snails and try's to nudge them or bite them at times. He gets worked up with the snails all the time and now I cant find my 2 amano shrimp. He is adorable but he is clearly a bully. He even gets pissed at red apples when I show him the one I'm eating. He is red as well.

Edited by Vonz1