African Dwarf Frog Hanging towards the Surface

Maya

So I’ve only had my ADF’s for a week and one of them keeps chilling towards the top and on the glass. Is this okay?

Also, how often should I be checking the water in my 5 gallon? I have the API master kit and I’m not really sure what I should be testing and how often I should be testing.

Thanks!IMG_1206.jpeg.ce81f489329cbd5b3432c7ab7361522e.jpeg

IMG_1207.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/19/2024 at 5:14 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Is there good flow in the tank? I would say once per week on testing would be great. What are your water parameters? But he might just be there chillin out, could be alseep. Too, @Maya

There’s a good flow, I just did testing a few days ago and everything was in the right range. I got this mossball from PetSmart that she loves to chill on top of, but I can’t get it to sink 😞

IMG_1209.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 5:20 PM, Maya said:

There’s a good flow, I just did testing a few days ago and everything was in the right range. I got this mossball from PetSmart that she loves to chill on top of, but I can’t get it to sink 😞

IMG_1209.jpeg

Should be ok. So right range as in, no ammonia nitrite correct? Maybe anchor down with piece of decor for moss ball @Maya.

Completely normal in my experience. I’ve had my ADF for about 3 years, and on more than one occasion I’ve thought he was dead floating at the top. I’ve done maintenance around him, (lightly) poked him and he didn’t move, just to find him darting around the tank later. I think mine might be a heavy sleeper, and he chills at the top of the tank in the water lettuce quite often. Completely normal in my experience. 

• Like 3

On 8/19/2024 at 5:22 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Should be ok. So right range as in, no ammonia nitrite correct? Maybe anchor down with piece of decor for moss ball @Maya.

Hey : /

I just did a water change yesterday and found a tiny parasite slithering around in my tank. I’m not sure if this was from my frog but if it was, it might explain the fact that he wasn’t interested in any brine shrimp. Today I found him lifeless on the surface…

My other frog on the other hand is doing perfectly fine. I just did water tests today and everything checks out. 

Thank you guys for your help. Not sure if this death was on my part or if I was sold an unhealthy froggy.

• Sad 2