Help With My First Bit of Plant Trouble

Shiba

Hi there,

Yesterday I finally received *some* of my aquarium plants from Aquarium Co-op. For the size of tank (20g) it's pretty hilarious, but the fact is I'm doing this as cheap as possible and will be using propagation with everything I can (mainly stem and carpeting plants). I was out of my home almost all day yesterday until around 9 and was genuinely exhausted. So, I put the plants in a small container with about 1-1.5 inches of dechlorinated water for the night.

I noticed that some of the plants were half-dead. I am aware this kind of thing is for support and I am considering contacting them, of course, but I am wondering if they'd still grow if I just prune the dead leaves. They're not completely dead and still have some green leaves, so I think they are salvageable. Thoughts? Have anyone tried doing this? What success have you had?

Thank you.

Edited by Shiba
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:37 AM, Shiba said:

Hi there,

Yesterday I finally received *some* of my aquarium plants from Aquarium Co-op. For the size of tank (20g) it's pretty hilarious, but the fact is I'm doing this as cheap as possible and will be using propagation with everything I can (mainly stem and carpeting plants). I was out of my home almost all day yesterday until around 9 and was genuinely exhausted. So, I put the plants in a small container with about 1-1.5 inches of dechlorinated water for the night.

I noticed that some of the plants were half-dead. I am aware this kind of thing is for support and I am considering contacting them, of course, but I am wondering if they'd still grow if I just prune the dead leaves. They're not completely dead and still have some green leaves, so I think they are salvageable. Thoughts? Have anyone tried doing this? What success have you had?

Thank you.

Are the roots rotting? And if the plants do have some green left, maybe add to aquarium and dose EG and see what happens @Shiba.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:53 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Are the roots rotting? And if the plants do have some green left, maybe add to aquarium and dose EG and see what happens @Shiba.

Have not checked the roots yet. I will now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2024 at 11:19 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Did you leave the plants submerged? 1.5” of water isn’t much. 

They arrived in a damp bag and I heard you could leave them emmersed. Fortunately, it was just overnight. Do you think that would mess anything up? I'm filling up the tank today.

Edited by Shiba

It’s not that easy to say if it’ll mess things up, but in general it’s bad practice. Once you’re seasoned and know what you’re doing, things get a bit easier. From now on, fish and plants go to their home or temporary home immediately. Do you see roots? If you do, then it’s still good. If not, then it’s not good any longer. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 2:21 PM, mynameisnobody said:

If it’s a brand new tank, it will basically be sterile which means no plant food. If it was a bit established with fish then I’d say plant it and see what happens, but in this case, fertilize or root tab and they’ll thank you for it. 

I did include some root tabs, but I may add one squirt of ferts which is half of what it's supposed to be.