Suggestions for change of scape in existing tank

j_rider

Hello Everyone,

As per my tank journal, I have recently passed the 3 month mark on my first planted tank. Learned heaps of stuff along the way, some ups and downs, but overall enjoying the journey and the tank is doing well.

Quick pic from this morning

20240815_093449.jpg.5d756d5d7479165991322910ab13889f.jpg

I am looking for some suggestions re: the largest stone, on the right of my 45cm shallow. I love the look of it, its proportions compared to the rest of the tank, and the fact that it sticks a little above the waterline.

On the flip side:

- I originally placed it with a 2cm gap to the front glass, but over time the stone has tilted forward til it touches. I can still move it away temporarily to clean the glass, but would prefer it not touching

- the stone blocks light obviously, so the Monte Carlo in the front right is not doing as well as the MC on the left

- with such a large stone in a relatively small tank, plus the hob behind it, I have limited options for planting on the right side

- also, quite a few of my fish love to hang out in the 'open' area behind the big stone, so I don't see them as often other than feeding time

- the stone's position in front of the hob makes the flow around the tank interesting

SO, I am considering a few things:

a) if possible, could try to prop up the large stone back to its original position away from the glass. Not sure how to do this. Maybe small stones under the front edge to lift it up?

b) replacing the stone with a smaller stone, such that the left stone set becomes the dominant one size-wise > this would open up many more planting options on the right side of the tank, result in more light for my right side monte carlo etc

c) the most radical option - I have a spare 35cm cube with double the water volume. I could move all livestock temporarily to my other tank (long story, 45cm AIO cube), and rescape in the 35cn cube.

Any thoughts on what you would do in my situation?

On 8/14/2024 at 7:46 PM, j_rider said:

Any thoughts on what you would do in my situation?

Just a thought to replace that biggest rock with perhaps a few stacked ones with a “ swim/view  thru” passage… it might displace much less water and I guess you’d need to cement them together to stabilize if they don’t naturally fit together safely. Have fun!

• Like 2