Not sure what to make of this light I have- T5

I’m rebuilding a 75 gallon tank and my lovely father went out and got me a new light for it- not what I would’ve picked necessarily but I won’t complain! I’m used to LEDs, so I’m just not entirely sure what to make of the information given here on the package. Any light help is appreciated! My plan is to go for a low light, slow growing setup, hopefully this is compatible. Thank you!IMG_2028.jpeg.73631c40de2b5e6ec5de9fc7968f6f8b.jpegIMG_2029.jpeg.3cdea1054f5a6b44fefc3d8b47478afb.jpegIMG_2030.jpeg.5de662ce01aa153548fe1a78596cbcc8.jpegIMG_2031.jpeg.9b9b16a0c147e79b83792f15fd134f33.jpeg

Do you have a fixture for it? It'll work assuming the fixture and the ballast in the fixture can handle the wattage, (most 4ft bulbs are 40 watts) but it's only a matter of time before it costs more to run that than it does to buy an led. That might be a long time so it might be worth it, or not. It will also produce a lot more heat, which can be good or bad depending on your situation, but you're spending money creating heat instead of light. 

Generally speaking, I wouldn't bother with florescent bulbs as they're just so inefficient compared to leds.

It sucks when someone tries to do something nice like that but it's the wrong thing. Always feels so bad. 

Edited by Woowala

On 8/8/2024 at 11:29 PM, Woowala said:

Do you have a fixture for it? It'll work assuming the fixture and the ballast in the fixture can handle the wattage, (most 4ft bulbs are 40 watts) but it's only a matter of time before it costs more to run that than it does to buy an led. That might be a long time so it might be worth it, or not. It will also produce a lot more heat, which can be good or bad depending on your situation, but you're spending money creating heat instead of light

Generally speaking, I wouldn't bother with florescent bulbs as they're just so inefficient compared to leds.

It sucks when someone tries to do something nice like that but it's the wrong thing. Always feels so bad. 

Yep I do have a fixture and it can handle the bulbs, that much my dad made sure of! I'm not wildly concerned about extra heat or wattage, although of course not ideal. Honestly my biggest concern would be over-lighting or having a super algae-growing light (I think it's blue that's the culprit there). 

Then yes I would think it should be fine. 54 watts over a 75 gallon shouldn't be too much, and you could always add some plastic window screening or floaters to shade it if you need to.  

If anything I expect it might be pretty dim, which is just what you're going for. 

Edited by Woowala

On 8/9/2024 at 5:59 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Id return it and get a dimmable LED. Just the cost of electricity and bulbs and you’ve already spent more than an a new LED. Personally I’d go with the coop light then you can adjust if it does become an algae farm. 

I WISH I could get the coop light! but alas... Canada. I'll probably play with it and see what happens, since I have a very limited budget to set this up and I want to use what I've got as long as it won't be an issue.