Finding the magic again- 75 gallon community build

After about a year and a half of being half-out, I’m finding the magic in fishkeeping again (thanks to my angelfish)! I’m cutting back on number of tanks to put in a big community, something I’ve dreamed of since starting the hobby. I’ve just started this new build and I wanted to document it a bit. I’m trying to keep the budget as low as I can, repurposing whatever I can from old tanks and such, so I’m currently trying to decide if I should buy any hard scape or just work with what I’ve got. I’m worried I don’t have a big enough wood piece to suit the tank size… 

As far as plants go, I’m so over stem plants and anything fast growing or high maintenance. I have some pretty awesome crypts that I’ll be moving in, as well as two great Anubias and some less-great Java fern. I want to purchase a nice sword plant that can really grow huge, maybe some vallisineria, and another crypt species or two. Crypts have become my favourite thing to grow hands down. 

Stocking-wise, I’ve got two angels, 8 pristella tetras, 7 cory cats (3 panda, 4 LFS mystery), two BN plecos, and a handful of endlers that will be moving in from the tanks I’m taking down. I’m drawn towards adding a BIG school of rummynose tetras, something I’ve been wanting since before I got my first tank, and then probably more cories to bulk up the school. Definitely open to suggestions! 

It’s not much to look at yet, obviously, but I love having it with all the jerseys. It just really ties together two of my biggest passions in a way that makes me really happy! 
IMG_2022.jpeg.c0b8bcf1c41c05e28b96fc0a433048cf.jpeg

Please feel free to follow along and provide kind advice- mainly on aesthetics. 

• Like 3

For having lots of plants on a budget, I'm a huge fan of growing them out emersed. Cheap, fast, almost zero maintenance, and I like having backups in case anything goes wrong. 

Ps- aesthetically, you need a bruins jersey.

On 8/8/2024 at 4:37 PM, Woowala said:

For having lots of plants on a budget, I'm a huge fan of growing them out emersed. Cheap, fast, almost zero maintenance, and I like having backups in case anything goes wrong. 

Ps- aesthetically, you need a bruins jersey.

Thanks! I have pothos, peace lily, and monstera that I’ll be moving in this tank as well. Love them. 
And I do have a bruins jersey! Pastrnak reverse retro. It’s just on the other wall!

• Like 1

Pasta!

The house plants are excellent.  But just to clarify, I meant that I grow any aquarium plant emersed if possible, usually in just a plastic shoebox or rubbermaid with some soil.  It's great if, for instance, you wanted to turn a couple Crypts into 20 instead of buying 20 initially.  

On 8/8/2024 at 7:35 PM, Woowala said:

Pasta!

The house plants are excellent.  But just to clarify, I meant that I grow any aquarium plant emersed if possible, usually in just a plastic shoebox or rubbermaid with some soil.  It's great if, for instance, you wanted to turn a couple Crypts into 20 instead of buying 20 initially.  

Ohhh I see what you mean! That’s quite brilliant. Thanks! 
Here’s proof of Pasta

IMG_2027.jpeg.65f3bf84727e4ff1e4256bf361872397.jpeg

We’ve got hardscape in, and the first plants! I have an order coming today or tomorrow with some new ones, plus I’ll be taking a whole bunch of crypts out of another tank when I move the fish. I was really debating whether or not I would buy hardscape, but I think I’ve managed to get something decently cool just using wood from old builds (and all originally found outside) and raiding the garden until I found a few of these nice black rocks that all mostly match. IMG_2052.jpeg.1a6a116c4a689e67cdb51f0e0755c0ec.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1