Help on Choosing the Best Algae Eater for My Tank

Shiba

On 8/8/2024 at 1:43 PM, Shiba said:

I know the sae could get a decent size. I don't want it to be a problem with the other fish, which is why a hillstream was so attractive to me. I never had to worry about it being a problem. It'd stay small and could live its entire life in the 20g, but it prefers cooler water. Otos were also attractive to me. I thought about getting otos but was too afraid that they'd die from starvation.

Considered those as well, but I'm trying to figure out the lighting for the tank. I have a basic tetra 20g high lid. Not the best lighting in the world. I could save up for a better light, but then I wouldn't have a hood which concerns me if I were to get amanos.

I love cherry shrimp too, but same deal as the amanos.

Why are you concerned about your light for shrimp? they'll be super happy with low light! I like running my tanks in lower light anyways, less algae and slower growth on my plants which I prefer. I've also never lost a shrimp from climbing out of my tank, I think as long as they're well fed they don't usually leave. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, redmare said:

Why are you concerned about your light for shrimp? they'll be super happy with low light!

My mad lol. I mean the aquarium will be a heavily planted aquascape...that's at least the plan. I want the light to be strong enough for the plants, but usually the lights for plants usually don't come with a hood which allows the shrimp to escape.

On 8/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, TOtrees said:

Decision paralysis. It's a thing. 

Isn't it, though?

On 8/8/2024 at 2:10 PM, Shiba said:

My mad lol. I mean the aquarium will be a heavily planted aquascape...that's at least the plan. I want the light to be strong enough for the plants, but usually the lights for plants usually don't come with a hood which allows the shrimp to escape

Ah, gotcha! Well you’re probably fine with whatever light you’ve got, but if you switch, just get a glass top! For a 20, it shouldn’t cost more than like $30. I just bought a glass top for my 75 gallon and it was only $60 CAD

• Like 1