Is my filter cycled?

So I am cycling this filter in a bucket and I am going on holiday tomorrow so I can no longer dose anymore liquid ammonia to cycle so what I have now will have to do. After 24 hours of dosing ammonia (~2ppm) I can get it down to 0 ammonia and around 2 nitrites. I know your tank is officially declared as cycled when it’s 0 on both after 24 hours but will this be fine? Thanks 

Personally I consider cycling a continuum.  The beneficial bacteria colony will grow to the level of ammonia produced…2 ppm ammonia per day is sort of an arbitrary number that was decided upon. A lightly stocked tank likely produces less ammonia per day, and a heavily stocked tank could produce more.The beneficial bacteria colony could grow sufficient to metabolize more than a 2 ppm ammonia challenge in 24 hours, but if that colony was then fed much less ammonia through a much lower biolad in the tank, the colony size would decrease over time and its ability to metabolize ammonia and nitrite would decrease as well…

so, is your current colony enough?  Well it is enough to handle a lower daily ammonia production than 2 ppm….  If you had a lighter bioload than that it would be just fine.  If we were to consider a fully stocked tank to produce 2 ppm of ammonia per day, than a -50% stocked tank would produce closer to 1 ppm per day…

So is your colony enough? Yes. It is enough for some bioload…, and if you subject it to a higher bioload it will grow over time to handle it…

On 7/30/2024 at 11:57 AM, Pepere said:

Personally I consider cycling a continuum.  The beneficial bacteria colony will grow to the level of ammonia produced…2 ppm ammonia per day is sort of an arbitrary number that was decided upon. A lightly stocked tank likely produces less ammonia per day, and a heavily stocked tank could produce more.The beneficial bacteria colony could grow sufficient to metabolize more than a 2 ppm ammonia challenge in 24 hours, but if that colony was then fed much less ammonia through a much lower biolad in the tank, the colony size would decrease over time and its ability to metabolize ammonia and nitrite would decrease as well…

so, is your current colony enough?  Well it is enough to handle a lower daily ammonia production than 2 ppm….  If you had a lighter bioload than that it would be just fine.  If we were to consider a fully stocked tank to produce 2 ppm of ammonia per day, than a -50% stocked tank would produce closer to 1 ppm per day…

So is your colony enough? Yes. It is enough for some bioload…, and if you subject it to a higher bioload it will grow over time to handle it…

I mean it’s a 15gal with 6 guppies, a honey gourami and some cherry shrimp so I don’t think that’s super stocked right

On 7/30/2024 at 10:27 AM, Cjbear087 said:

I mean it’s a 15gal with 6 guppies, a honey gourami and some cherry shrimp so I don’t think that’s super stocked right

If you opt to use the filter on a 15 gallon tank with that amount of fish, it would be prudent to feed lightly and test daily for a while and be prepared to do a water change to lower nitrites as needed.

more likely than not you would be fine, but any time I add fish I test daily for a week for any sign or hint that ammonia or nitrites might rise…

What are you trying to do?  Is this a filter replacement or are you starting a new tank.  If it is a filter replacement I would place it on your tank and place bio media from your existing filter in your new one  If you're not ready to put in a tank you can put a piece of shrimp or small chuck of fish in the bucket to break down and produce ammonia.  If you're worried about the smell  throw a bunch a fishfood in your bucket to keep your filter cycled.