Convulsing Shrimp????

Spaghider

Currently INCREDIBLY concerned about one of my shrimp, Tuna. Just got him yesterday, and he was fine then. But today, I found him on his back with his limbs and swimmerettes convulsing. I turned him right side up, annd he’s still been doing the same. All my other shrimp seem fine. Is this a parasite??? Are there any signs I should be looking for??? Is it treatable???

IMG_0259.jpeg

IMG_0257.jpeg

I also want to add that I properly drip acclimated him and the other shrimp when adding them.

Edited by Spaghider

On 7/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, Spaghider said:

Currently INCREDIBLY concerned about one of my shrimp, Tuna. Just got him yesterday, and he was fine then. But today, I found him on his back with his limbs and swimmerettes convulsing. I turned him right side up, annd he’s still been doing the same. All my other shrimp seem fine. Is this a parasite??? Are there any signs I should be looking for??? Is it treatable???

IMG_0259.jpeg

IMG_0257.jpeg

I also want to add that I properly drip acclimated him and the other shrimp when adding them.

If it’s only one shrimp I would guess that he may have recently molted. Molting makes them quite vulnerable and it’s common to see them lie down or make jerky movements during the molt and after. Disease article (doesn’t look like he has any of these. Not sure what white spot on his tail is.)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Same thing has happened to yet another one of my shrimp. Something feels off, considering that the shrimps legs are curled up and the shrimp itself is completely unresponsive. Is this just a sign of molt like you said?

(Update: The convulsions have slowed down and now she’s just lying there, likely dead. This definitely doesn’t feel like a molt)

Edited by Spaghider

I know you're saying it doesn't feel like molt, but it's very common for a change in environment to trigger a molt in cherry shrimp. The convulsing is also consistent with trying to shed the old shell and snap or flick out of it. If you've ever seen it, that's basically what it looks like, the shell splits horizontally along the line where the main body meets the segmented abdomen, they fold in half (imagine a person doing a straight leg toe touch), then then flick out backwards. Have you seen those videos of people bending over, stepping on the hood of their hoodie sweatshirt with both feet, then pulling out of it? It's like that. 

If the shell wasn't ready to let go, it could well be a failed molt, meaning it can't get out of its shell properly, and if that happens it likely won't survive. This doesn't mean you did anything wrong, but maybe try different sources or sellers for the shrimp next time, maybe something closer to home, or a private seller. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My Kh/Gh test kit finally came in and the results were pretty confusing. dKh clocked in at 12, and dGh clocked in at almost 20! Would this be causing these shrimp to die (or be dangerous in any other way)? Should I be doing and emergency water change?

Edited by Spaghider