How long to neutralize ammonia from Nutrient Substrates?

How long does it usually take to get an aquarium with fluval stratum (or a similar substrate) to be safe for new pets?  I am thinking of tearing down one of my aquariums and rebuilding it with a similar substrate.  However, in the past it has taken about two months to get the parameters where I want them...and keep them there.  This would be for a 10-gallon for a betta.  Any experience?

I use tropica aquasoil and for me it takes around 3ish weeks with a handful of established media added to the new HOB and water changes done pretty often, about once every two days

You can also use aquasoil on bottom and cover it up with fine sand to block it reaching to water column ( or even put it in filter bags and cover them) This way plants utilize it by reaching it with their roots and you can use the top layer the way you want it to look.

Cleaning the aquasoil is painful but this way you wont need to. I tried covering aquasoil in one of my recent setups and pretty happy about it. Using filterbags would be a better idea tho, my aquasoil was used and a bit mushy so I couldn’t