Delayed water change after Maracyn?

Brett

I'm heading out of town for a week starting Sunday, so of course my male apisto borelli got popeye. He's already in a solo tank, so it's no biggie to ask the house sitter to dose a packet of Maracyn each day. My question is, I'll be home two days after the full course is finished. Is that delay for the water change ok?

Also, should I have her feed like normal?

Thanks all!

On 7/12/2024 at 9:37 PM, Brett said:

I'm heading out of town for a week starting Sunday, so of course my male apisto borelli got popeye. He's already in a solo tank, so it's no biggie to ask the house sitter to dose a packet of Maracyn each day. My question is, I'll be home two days after the full course is finished. Is that delay for the water change ok?

Also, should I have her feed like normal?

Thanks all!

The house sitter should dose Prime daily with the Maracyn, because Maracyn almost always kills the beneficial bacteria on the filter, resulting in ammonia spike: highly toxic to fish. Prime will detoxify that ammonia but the effect lasts only 1 day. You should do a water change ASAP after the course is completed because medications stress fish but if you can’t, house sitter should continue the Prime. Also run extra air because medications deplete oxygen level in the water. Make sure there is no carbon in the filter or the tank because it removes meds. (Can house sitter add a pouch of rinsed carbon after the treatment?)

Feeding is ok but do so sparingly. Small quantity, twice a week. Remove uneaten food after 3-5 minutes with a turkey baster so it does not foul the water.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea