Very Excited Nego Dagua Tetras

Posted (edited)

I recently added 6 Nego Dagua Tetras (Hyphessobrycon negodagua) into my 25 gallon aquarium. My 25 gallon is a community tank with 7 Glow Light, 7 Cardinal, and 1 Pristella Tetra, along with a bristlenose pleco and Marble Hachetfish. Everything I researched and read online prior to getting the Nego Daguas stated they were very peaceful and good for a community tank.

Ever since I added the Nego Daguas, the Glow Light and Cardinals are pretty much always hiding. My lone ranger Pristella swims with the Nego Daguas. The Nego Daguas appear to be constantly courting each other (dancing and possibly spawning). I do not see any of the Nego Daguas nipping at other fish but will occasionally chase a Glow Light or Cardinal.

Overall, the Nego Daguas are gorgeous but extremely hyper active, especially after water changes. Does anyone have any suggestions on settling the Nego Daguas down so the Glow Light and Cardinals feel more at ease?

Thank you!

Edited by Sandrock14

Bioload wise you’re ok, but this is the reason I’ve grown very far away from 6 of this and 6 of that. Community to me means 1 species of bottom dwellers, 1 species of mid water column, and 1 species of top dwellers. Or just get 1 giant school for the top and 1 species for the bottom. When in high numbers, you get more interesting behaviors whereas in this situation you are seeing the behaviors of dealing with a given situation. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:53 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Bioload wise you’re ok, but this is the reason I’ve grown very far away from 6 of this and 6 of that. Community to me means 1 species of bottom dwellers, 1 species of mid water column, and 1 species of top dwellers. Or just get 1 giant school for the top and 1 species for the bottom. When in high numbers, you get more interesting behaviors whereas in this situation you are seeing the behaviors of dealing with a given situation. 

I never really considered that perspective. I like that mentality of fish per level of the aquarium.

With that in mind, what do you think of my current situation? Any possible solutions?

• Like 1

Jason Adams was showing something like this in his members section this morning. He has 6 or more nano fish species in a 75g display. including embers, diamond head neons, 2 species of small rainbows and a couple others. and stocks at a higher rate per school. Nobody at all was schooling. just random fish in random locations. I'm guessing he's got to add some sort of larger fish to create a fear factor and force them to school. So not only are high numbers important, but sometimes it's also the tank composition that gets the good behavior 

Do you guys think supplementing my current Glow Light and Cardinal population would help? Or maybe getting a completely different species such as a Honey Gourami, something bigger?

Personally I’d rehome 2 groups of tetras(your pick), then I’d add another dozen of that species. I’d also add 5 more hatchets. The pleco is good, but depending on your parameters, you may want to rehome it as well. Their bioload is fairly huge. That’s just me. 

On 7/5/2024 at 5:01 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Personally I’d rehome 2 groups of tetras(your pick), then I’d add another dozen of that species. I’d also add 5 more hatchets. The pleco is good, but depending on your parameters, you may want to rehome it as well. Their bioload is fairly huge. That’s just me. 

I'm thinking of doing that. I will probably give my father the Glow Light and Cardinal tetras.

I do want to get some more Hatches. Unfortunately nobody has them in stock right now. I don't believe they are in season, once they are, I definitely will get some!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 7:58 PM, mynameisnobody said:

The difference in behaviors once the numbers go up in the single species is dramatic. Enjoy! 

Now time to catch the buggers. At least they will go to a larger tank with more of their friends! Thank you for the advice!

• Like 2