Livestock in my canister filter.

I have taken to pouring water from my canister filter through a fish net when servicing it.  I have found snails, kuhli loaches, neons, glow eye tetra and harlequins in the canister filter. To date they have been none the worse for the experience…

I have to figure they are getting in via the surface skimmer…

Twice I have found emerald green cories in the intake Lily near the bend and had to shut of filter and take out bottom plug of lily pipe to let them swim out….

On 7/1/2024 at 12:44 PM, Pepere said:

I have taken to pouring water from my canister filter through a fish net when servicing it.  I have found snails, kuhli loaches, neons, glow eye tetra and harlequins in the canister filter. To date they have been none the worse for the experience…

I have to figure they are getting in via the surface skimmer…

Twice I have found emerald green cories in the intake Lily near the bend and had to shut of filter and take out bottom plug of lily pipe to let them swim out….

Wow! I've heard of shrimp getting in there pretty frequently, and I find bladder snails a lot, but fish too!

I don't have lily pipes, though, and put a prefilter sponge on the intake of mine. Snails still get in but I've never found anything larger than that.