Glass Thickness Concern

So... in January this year I bought an Aqueon frameless cube aquarium, 14 gallon.

Back story:

Didn't do anything with it, life got in the way. I water tested but I did not read the reviews as I planned to have a crab in there at first. (I have since decided to use my 20 gallon long tank for their set up.) fast forward I have been working on it because I wanted to get a dwarf gourami. Been wanting one for a while. 
so I've been scaping and setting up the plants and everything has been growing and coming a long smoothly I was in no rush. Almost there too been two months working on everything still hadn't found the right drift wood but I was still in no rush figured I'd get one probably early/late august. 

fast forward to today: 

I saw on a fish tank group I am in that someone's tank busted wide open at the sides after being up for months no problem. Same one as mine. I had noticed how thin the layer of silicone was before but didn't think much of it since it held. Now I'm worried, debating on emptying and resealing but then I noticed someone in the reviews under the petco product mentioned the glass thickness. I looked it up and the thickness of the glass is the same as my 5.5  gallon tank. I am super worried because that's well below the suggested thickness for this 14 gallon. 

Personally I am leaning towards I should scrap it for an aquarium completely and only keep it for vivarium builds but I am also upset because I really liked it as an aquarium. 

Very interested in y'all's opinion on this one: 

Have you personally had any issues with this tank after having it for over a year or more? 

Have you resealed it and the glass seemed fine? 

Is there really a standard thickness or is it all just suggested? (If so why does Aqueon get away with not meeting said standard?) 

IMG_9525.jpeg

On 6/26/2024 at 2:56 AM, Jesuisbanan said:

Personally I am leaning towards I should scrap it for an aquarium completely and only keep it for vivarium builds but I am also upset because I really liked it as an aquarium

I suspect your level of displeasure would be much higher if you set it up and experienced a panel blowout….

• Like 2

Sounds like a good plan to go terrarium with this one.  

For the matter, does anybody have a link to a good guide on DIY aquarium building, that also details glass type and thickness? 

On 6/26/2024 at 5:41 AM, daggaz said:

For the matter, does anybody have a link to a good guide on DIY aquarium building, that also details glass type and thickness? 

Serpadesign on youtube builds a lot of his own tanks and explains what thickness they'll need and where he bought the glass. I am thinking about making a cube myself to replace this one.  
I have also found a couple sites that you can calculate the thickness of the glass you'll need so you can know prior to a build. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 5:10 AM, Pepere said:

I suspect your level of displeasure would be much higher if you set it up and experienced a panel blowout….

Yeah, really bothers me that they'd sell this product knowing it's not made properly. I don't want to waste my time perfecting a tank that will potentially end in disaster. Besides it's my work desk I really don't need a blowout on all my paperwork and computer. 

On 6/26/2024 at 4:49 AM, Galabar said:

You can search for various failures.  Personally, I would not trust one.

Yeah, wish I had read the reviews before. I'll figure out something to go in there... just not water. 

Y'all never buy this product. I will not purchase anymore Aqueon tanks.
After all this it Ironically started leaking today😅
I lowered it to around 4 gallons after deciding to take it down. I still needed to set something up to take the plants and snails so it still had the water for them. Today I was at my desk and looking at the hanging plant I have still in the water (suction cupped to the side of the glass) noticing that the level decreased but I thought that was just evaporation due to the AC.
Still I decided it was time to start working on getting it's replacement since I had time today. I worked on moving my current 10 gallon crab tank to a 20 gallon to free up my 10 gallon to replace this tank. It's done and I love it a lot more anyways but when I sat at my desk to do my work about 30 minutes ago I noticed the bottom of the hanging plant was now exposed.
🥲 The timing is unreal, luckily it's only 4 gallons now instead of the 10 gallons I had before so I can manage this.

• Sad 2

• 5 weeks later...