Help with scape / setup

Hi guys

I am not a good at the scaping or even imaging the end result as it seems, and I would very much appreciate the help.

If there is a software I can play with (I would want to see the tank from both sides, as mine is see through and is next to the wall on the one narrow side only) or if there is anyone who would be willing to spend the time discussing it with me, or suggesting how to put some plants in, what to look for, what about the substrate. And ideally not be offended if I dont want to follow 100% or buy a specific type of stone for the scape, given I already have all the plants for example.

Thanks for letting me know

On 6/20/2024 at 8:52 AM, beastie said:

Hi guys

I am not a good at the scaping or even imaging the end result as it seems, and I would very much appreciate the help.

If there is a software I can play with (I would want to see the tank from both sides, as mine is see through and is next to the wall on the one narrow side only) or if there is anyone who would be willing to spend the time discussing it with me, or suggesting how to put some plants in, what to look for, what about the substrate. And ideally not be offended if I dont want to follow 100% or buy a specific type of stone for the scape, given I already have all the plants for example.

Well, what type of aquascaping style are you trying to do?

On 6/20/2024 at 8:52 AM, beastie said:

Hi guys

There is a software called Scape It which doesnt let you view the back but it is the best scaping software out there.

On 6/20/2024 at 3:25 PM, Shrimpee said:

but it is the best scaping software out there.

Is it? I tried it and I can sort of do the same in paint or on a paper, it offers no other view than the front, no floaters, no equipement or even rough one to see how to place it, no depth... not what I expected

I have an ugly picture of the tank/space from when I moved in

Back view (from the door)

image.png.cb365926085417b2adf6569bd2310eb4.png

front view, the couch is right across so I view it most often from this side

image.png.0208d4288ad2909c35ec21a0e6802b11.png

It has changed inside and the layout of the rest of the room but the placement is the same

Right now it looks like this 

front

image.jpeg.65025eead38006e4aa88454b442e6a32.jpeg

back

image.jpeg.281d177b2edd469a758e7fc49d0a7abd.jpeg

I want to get rid of all the cryptocorynes that go up to the surface, I want to add more swords and replace the substrate so it has a place to grow. The rotala is obviously not trimmed and badly planted and I want to add some pennywort. My idea was to make or sort of create some sort of stump from the wood I have to not have it long and on the ground, but to have it in one place, I guess on the right side where the filter intake and output are, and to have a sort of stump feel and upwards

I want to plant it more, I have three echinodorus now, one planted, two in the mesh I bought them from, the lotus and its own sprouts, the rotalla I will cut and replant and trim this time! I dont really know what I am looking for, except better planted tank, sort of right to left slope (viewed from the front) and a good space for the fish. I have kuhli loaches and one cave inside the wooden structure, I want to add more kuhlis and have them comfortable too

image.png

On 6/20/2024 at 9:55 AM, beastie said:

Is it? I tried it and I can sort of do the same in paint or on a paper, it offers no other view than the front, no floaters, no equipement or even rough one to see how to place it, no depth... not what I expected

It has changed inside and the layout of the rest of the room but the placement is the same

front

back

I want to get rid of all the cryptocorynes that go up to the surface, I want to add more swords and replace the substrate so it has a place to grow. The rotala is obviously not trimmed and badly planted and I want to add some pennywort. My idea was to make or sort of create some sort of stump from the wood I have to not have it long and on the ground, but to have it in one place, I guess on the right side where the filter intake and output are, and to have a sort of stump feel and upwards

I want to plant it more, I have three echinodorus now, one planted, two in the mesh I bought them from, the lotus and its own sprouts, the rotalla I will cut and replant and trim this time! I dont really know what I am looking for, except better planted tank, sort of right to left slope (viewed from the front) and a good space for the fish. I have kuhli loaches and one cave inside the wooden structure, I want to add more kuhlis and have them comfortable too

image.png

With that tank position, an island style might be best. That way you can view it on different sides of the tank

Like thisScreenshot2024-06-20at10_12_40AM.png.7442fd250652d41833deb5775c962ebb.png

• Like 1

Islands are lovely, but basically only if you have lily pipes, I have this sponge on the right side on the filter suction

image.png.ba635e540bb1cd016c5b5c78e4d00580.png

Can an island be from one side instead? Also how do you vacuum/maintenance under that?

image.png

On 6/20/2024 at 9:55 AM, beastie said:

front

back

image.png

If you do an island with that position, then you would have to either put taller plants in the middle of the island or dont put them at all. It seems like your tank would look nice with a foreground or carpeting plant surrounding the island with some splotches of midground plants there and then more midground plants in the island

On 6/20/2024 at 10:16 AM, beastie said:

Islands are lovely, but basically only if you have lily pipes, I have this sponge on the right side on the filter suction

image.png.ba635e540bb1cd016c5b5c78e4d00580.png

Can an island be from one side instead? Also how do you vacuum/maintenance under that?

image.png

You could bury the sponge filter air tube under the substrate and then put it horizontally in the island. It might mess with the flow though so you can try something like this photo but maybe make it less bushy and more formedScreenshot2024-06-20at10_19_53AM.png.a38ecab24c07bc146cdfcf831e52edd1.png

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 10:16 AM, beastie said:

image.png

Well with most islands the substrate is sometimes raised up to the top of the island kind of like a large hill in the middle of the tank so there wont be much crevices where waste can get to.