Using the Easy Flow Uplift tube with an under gravel filter?

AAE

I would greatly appreciate your feedback about this idea I am considering.  

I will be setting up a 100 gallon aquarium with an under gravel filter (Lee's Premium https://www.leesaqpet.com/index.php/shop/aquatic/under-gravel-filters-ugf/premium-ugfs/under-gravel-filter,-premium,-70-90-gallon-detail).  I very much like the Aquarium Coop sponge filter Easy Flow uplift tube.  I think I can use the Easy Flow instead of the uplift tube that comes with the UGF by 1) cutting a short segment of the Lee's uplift tube to go into the UGF plate; 2) inserting the plastic top part of the sponge filter into the previously mentioned short segment, and then 3) inserting the Easy Flow uplift tube into the top part of the sponge filter (see picture).  This will allow me to not use an air stone and I can adjust the Easy Flow to the level that I want (e.g., have the air and water leave the tube at the water's surface).  Do you see any flaws with this idea?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IMG_0697.jpeg

@Pepere, thanks!

@Pepere, sorry for my last message - sent prematurely.  I was referred to you by AllFishNoBrakes - would you mind looking at my post?  I was told you did the same.  If so, would you mind telling me how it worked out?

@AllFishNoBrakes, thanks for the referral!

@Pepere, thanks for your quick response with the great photos!  Do you see any issues with me using the top of the Aquarium Coop sponge filter as the coupler between the Easy Flow uplift tube and the shortened UGF uplift tube that will fit onto the UGF plate as shown in my photo above (other than the expense of buying sponge filters to pirate parts)?

@Pepere, may I ask if you remain happy with the Easy Flow uplift tubes connected to your UGF?  Have you had any challenges?  I appreciate the information you are giving me!

On 6/3/2024 at 11:35 AM, AAE said:

may I ask if you remain happy with the Easy Flow uplift tubes connected to your UGF?  Have you had any challenges?

Pleased as punch…. With time you may notice flow decreasing.  If you have had water soaking the air collar in vinegar, using a syringe to push pull vinegar through it and to clean it out helps.  One member on this forum has mentioned that.  

I have very soft water that I supplement to get up to 3 degrees of GH, so I have never bothered with vinegar, but soaking it in strong bleach solution and using a tube brush to agitate after having soaked followed up with a soak in 1/4 cup dechlorinator in a gallon of water in addition to cleaning the tubes of visible algae noticeably improves flow.  I do that maybe every three months.

All in all no more work than dealing with standard uplift tubes, and even at their worse they flow better than standard uplift tubes…