What's the most interesting behavior you've observed in your fish?

I love watching gouramies explore their surroundings. It's like a dog using their mouth to feel things or a baby grabbing stuff. I don't know what it's called but those things they use to grabby-grab stuff. Yes.

• Like 3

It's between my Platy's swimming after each other, going in and out of nooks and cranny's as if they're a bunch of kittens running around the house,  it always looks like they're playing and I never tire of them.

And yeah my two pearl gourami's who are the most graceful sweeties just swim around totally zen and occasionally just hang out in shelter area's for a moment, love that they're in every part of the water colon.

Also love my recently new acquired German Blue Ram,   his mannerisms are so unique to the rest of my fish,  he's like puppy daring back and fort frolicking in the backyeard looking for sticks and stuff to play with.  

• Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 9:21 PM, Jovius said:

What's the most interesting behavior you've observed in your fish? I know there are some really interesting fish out there!

I’ve seen a lot of fascinating fish behaviors, including courtship and spawning. But one that really stands out comes from cichlids like my Oscars and angels. They can tell me apart from other people, and get excited when I approach their tanks, but hide when other people do. This means they can tell individual people apart from each other. Now that’s clever!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 2:39 PM, doktor zhivago said:

You MUST have soft water. I've never gotten my fat lazy rasboras to breed. They do loving hunting baby brine shrimps tho and they've learned to be more aggressive with the bigger platys so they can get some food too

Interestingly, I added two half-grown Apistogramna hongsloi to my aquarium and my harlequin rasboras immediately stopped their breeding activity and became less active. The apistos are paying no attention to the rasboras at all, but just their presence is enough. 

Regarding soft water, my hardness is about 125 ppm, KH runs about 40 ppm, pH is about 6.6. I have a a couple of large driftwood pieces giving off tannins too (and I think pulling the KH and pH down). 

• Like 1