Summer tub plants and pesticide concerns

Buying from native nurseries and wildlife gardens are the best way to do this, but otherwise go to any ol independently ran plant nursery and ask them (or email them if you prefer) if they use herbicides, pesticides, or inorganic fertilizers. Big box stores (Lowes, wilco, etc) are not reliable sources as they usually ship in most of their plants. Even if they don't use chemicals, the grower may. Tell them you are looking for chemical-free, organic plants for a pond. Say that you will have animals in the pond (whether you say koi, fancy goldfish, wildlife, or you do not specify - you will have animals in the pond even if you do not put them there) and do not want any chemicals, as you do not want to poison them.

Again, typically native nurseries and wildlife specialty nurseries will almost always be chemical-free, as their goal is to better nature. (Regardless, for keeping aquatic plants outdoors, please use native plants. Exotics easily become invasive and destroy ecosystems!) You could also go on a nursery's website or social medias. Many will proudly display things like "100% pesticide / herbicide / etc free". And again, just ask. Most will be honest especially if you specify that it is for a wildlife pond / pond that will have animals. When in doubt, go elsewhere. 

There sadly is no reliable way to wash pesticides or herbicides off. Unfortunately there will always be a residue. The best practice is to obtain them from organic, chemical-free sources. 

If it is legal and you know the plant is abundant, don't be scared to harvest from the wild either. Some places are preserves (never harvest from a wildlife preserve) but some areas it may be legal to take from the wild. One of my friends owns a house with acreage and has a stream and wetland area on her property. She let me take a small skunk cabbage plant and a fern for my water garden. Just again, read up on legality, and only harvest plants you can identify. If you can't identify it, it is probably rare, and you should leave it. If the plant produces flowers or fruit seeds you could also harvest these and grow them yourself. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for that thoughtful and helpful reply. It honestly never occurred to me to worry about whether a plant was native. Since we live in a pretty urban area I'd be nervous anything collected from the wild (such as it is here) would be contaminated, sadly, but I bet others won't have that problem! I will seek out a specialty nursery! 

• Love 1

You can also check if you have a botanical garden.  The one where I used to live did little classes with native species you paid a few dollars for the class and left with plants 

• Like 1