Mystery snails

Posted (edited)

Ok this may seem dumb but I have a question.  When I got up this morning to feed I found this. I have had mystery snails for quite a while. Many egg clutches and babies. I put water line too high with water change this time and one of my girls laid a huge egg clutch on the underside of lid. I don't know how long she had been there but she was starting to dry out so I got her off of the underside of lid and back into the water. I know they can be out of water for a short time but not sure how long she was out of water. I noticed that she wasn't done laying eggs and some still out and on her. Will this hurt her or will the eggs just fall off of her? I know they won't be viable but didn't know if this would hurt her not being completely done laying.  Sorry for such a long post. Thanks!

Edited by Indy Fish And Snail Girl
addition to post

On 5/9/2024 at 9:34 AM, Indy Fish And Snail Girl said:

I know they can be out of water for a short time but not sure how long she was out of water

depends on the snail. I've had them escape their tanks and look completely dried out before. threw it back in the tank and later it was back up and going again. 

• Like 1

My thought is they’re designed to lay their eggs outside of water. Whether that’s above the water line if you keep it low, or on the underside of the lid it’s probably the same. 

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You’re going to learn something one way or the other. 

• Like 2