So if my new alternatha reickii mini lost all leaves, can it still survive?

I suppose time will tell, but I figure I’d ask anyway. 

I bought a UNS tissue culture alternatha reickii 3 days ago. Never bought a tissue culture plant before. Figure I’d try something new. 

The stems themselves are about a half an inch, with leaves and roots compacted into a single “bushel.” I used my pincers to place each bushel partly buried in my substrate. 

Now all leaves are gone and the stems were so small to begin with that I literally can’t see them. Even if they are there.  

The attached pic is from right after planting them. 

IMG_9909.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Time will tell.   I wouldnt be quick to pull the stems…

AR has been my black beast plant.    It is one of the worst algae magnets in my experience.  I have gotten it to thrive in a compact bushy for free of algae and then poof!  Melt away and  or get algae infested…,

fwiw I have had best success with tissue culture AR., and it definitely likes strong co2 injection and high light and nutrients.

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 1

Yeah this is a low-tech tank with moderate lighting. Maybe not suited.  

And at this point I couldn’t pull the stems if I wanted because they’ve “disappeared.” But I suppose it’s possible for the bare  stems to start growing  leaves,  even if it’s unlikely  

Thanks! Maybe I aimed too high for my modest setup. 

I have gotten AR to survive in a low tech tank, but it certainly has never thrived.  Leggy straggly growth and always with algae infested old leaves to prune off…

Ahh that sounds like my “easy” stem plants currently. (Though frustratingly enough they did grow a lot healthier in the past in my current tank and I’m not sure what changed.)