How to keep BBS alive for a couple extra days?

I've got one hatchery, and I'm not really willing to pony up the cash or space to run a second one at this point. Volume of BBS isn't my issue, rather, I'd like to have more continuous supply of live BBS. I thought it would be fairly easy to put the extra into a jar with an airstone, is it really that simple? Are there any other considerations like feeding them or keeping them at a certain temp so they don't die off? Thanks

I’ve never done it as I just freeze mine. Like most fry, they have a yolk sac. I assume that once that yolk sac has been absorbed they would need to be fed. 

People definitely hatch them out and then raise them to adults. I believe they feed with spirulina powder. Prior to investing in that, though, I would see how long it takes for them to absorb the yolk sac. If it takes a couple days (like a lot of fry) you probably wouldn’t have to worry about feeding the BBS. 

Posted (edited)

Yes you can.

I always hatch them at room temp. So it takes around 1.5 days to hatch bbs at max rate for me.

I use magnetic eggs soo all unhatched and hatched eggs do not mix to the water part. I add some of the water full of bbs to a new cup. I add one drop of prime. I noticed this helps a lot to prevent it going bad and smelly in my experience. Then, I fill up the cup with the new brine water I make and add an airtube that works on very low.

This way I always have a small batch available for fry until the next batch is ready.

That being said, there is a study done about bbs losing caloric value. So the sooner you feed it, the better.

Conclusions

The modified procedures described above resulted in a more appropriate evaluation of the caloric value of Artemia salina over time between 24 and 48 hours. It can be concluded that in order for aquarium collection animals to receive the most caloric value, Artemia should be fed just after reaching the Instar I phase when their yolk sac is mainly intact and not depleted. Thus, it is strongly recommended that the standard operating procedure for Artemia culturing within Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration’s Fish & Invertebrate department be changed. The standing waiting period of 48 hours before feeding out hatched Artemia should be moved to 24 hours, just after the nauplii hatch from their cysts.

https://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1085&context=srhonorsprog

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 2