Koi Pond Construction?

Hi All,

Looking to get info on koi fish care and/or pond building.  Youtube hasn't been super helpful and search engines haven't really got me fired up.

Any good books or something I've missed?  Or any tips?  I'm in NH, USDA zone 5.

Thanks!

There's a YouTube Ozponds channel who's great info with ponds. I'm in zone 6 and kept a white cloud alive all year in a 150g outside this past winter no filter pump, just a sponge filter, and six inches ice in January.

• Like 1

The website of The Pond Guy, Greg Wittstock is a good starting point. Keep in mind that koi can get very, very large. The biggest I've heard of was a British koi that was four feet long and weighed over 90 pounds. You want a big pond because they can become very big fish. Fitz's Fish Ponds is another source you might want to check out. Fitz has tons of videos out on YouTube. If you're looking for an earthen pond then some of the construction YouTubers (Letsdig18 and Dirtperfect) fairly often are making new ponds. Bamabass (also a YouTuber) has built a five-acre bass pond that could be used as a model for a koi pond. (Just different food sources for koi instead of for bass.) There's a nearly endless amount of information out there for everything from a backyard pond to a multi-acre pond. British YouTuber Quailtynishikigoi has lots of informative videos out there also.