Food competition

Well, I’m happy to say I now have 3 baby angelfish in my 55-gal tank, along with the overpopulated guppies. The baby angels already have plump little bellies from dining on baby guppies, so the population control has begun. However, I’m worried that all those adult guppies might prevent the baby angels from getting enough of my provisioned food (flakes, pellets, frozen, etc). Might the baby angels starve amid the guppy hoard? Should I just move the adult guppies to another tank until the angels are big enough to cull them, too? Please let me know what you think.

Edited by AtomicSunfish

On 4/22/2024 at 6:32 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Impossible, those angels will snipe any food that hits that water. They’ll toss those guppies out of the way in no time. 

Okay, good to know. 😅 I’m so used to guppies outcompeting Cory cats and dwarf frogs, I guess I underestimated the mighty angelfish.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2024 at 6:32 PM, mynameisnobody said:

Impossible, those angels will snipe any food that hits that water. They’ll toss those guppies out of the way in no time. 

Update for you all: I gave most of the guppies away, and put the stragglers in my 10g with an African dwarf frog. Now the 55g just has 2 baby angelfish in it. It was just too difficult to feed them with so many guppies around them, plus the water quality got bad enough that fish started dying and I had to do a big water change to correct course.

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Confused 1