Leak Detectors - peace of mind

Getting ready to set up my 3rd tank.  I don't know about you, but I'm always paranoid About tanks developing leaks or worse.   As a kid there was always Mom yelling "there's water on the floor in here"  lol  I don't know Why I never thought of getting Detectors before.  Someone in a fish group mentiond them.  Some of them can even send alerts to your phone.    Now if I could only program it with my mom's voice lol

Loads on Amazon like

https://a.co/d/33mDFQm

410HOcrTGtL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, we have set up something similar. I sometimes worry that a leak may happen while away from home.

We use wireless, battery-operates ones that integrate with a smart home hub. We then have automation to announce the event, then turn off the water main (it could be an overflow during water change), and  other possible sources of leaks like a hob, airline-driven filter, or powerhead/water pump gone awry.

Of course, if the tank itself is leaking, the automation cannot do anything about it. I thought about having a catch-pan under the tank to buy one some time during a slow leak; but, it would be unsightly and might negatively add to the stresses on the tank bottom.

I run my dry fingers over the silicone joints on the corners of the tanks before each water change.

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 1

When I first got my canister filter I put the canister in a small plastic tub behind the tank, and put one of these water alarms in the tub. Thankfully, it has never gone off, but if it ever does I’ll be thankful that I spent the $10 on the alarm!

• Like 1