Big Bump on Sid of Gourami

FaintingGoats

My Sunset Gourami has a large bump the size of a pea under the pectoral fin on one of its sides. The bump doesn’t extend through to the other side but he isn’t acting super great. He does swim around and eat when I put food in but unless otherwise bothered he kind of just drifts into a plant to sit. He has been doing a lot of sitting in his plant recently but this is the first I noticed of the bump. 

He is in a tank that has all good parameters (a little high in nitrates) with other community fish  nothing has been added or changed in 6 months  

I tried to get a better video but he keeps hiding in his plant and I don’t want to stress him too much  

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2A1C7B3A-EB07-4244-AD3F-008CA02E2129.gif

Got some better pictures of it. 

he no longer appears to be eating and only swims to go to the surface for air(?) before sinking quickly back down. He also appears to be breathing quickly. 

If no one has any ideas in the next little while, I will probably euthanize him with clove oil. 

IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8822.jpeg

On 4/8/2024 at 4:13 PM, FaintingGoats said:

Got some better pictures of it. 

he no longer appears to be eating and only swims to go to the surface for air(?) before sinking quickly back down. He also appears to be breathing quickly. 

If no one has any ideas in the next little while, I will probably euthanize him with clove oil. 

IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8822.jpeg

I'm very sorry to hear about your fish. If it is helpful, here is some high-quality information about euthanasia: https://fishkeepandchill.com/conversations/f/euthanasia-for-aquarium-fish-when-should-it-be-done-and-how

On 4/8/2024 at 4:54 PM, Nora Loves Corys said:

I'm very sorry to hear about your fish. If it is helpful, here is some high-quality information about euthanasia: https://fishkeepandchill.com/conversations/f/euthanasia-for-aquarium-fish-when-should-it-be-done-and-how

Thank you for these. I just got done with it and it went as well as it could. I wish we could figure out what it was though. 

thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

On 4/8/2024 at 6:00 PM, FaintingGoats said:

Thank you for these. I just got done with it and it went as well as it could. I wish we could figure out what it was though. 

thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

I'm glad it went okay, euthanizing fish is so sad.

Hazarding a guess, it was probably not anything good--mycobacteriosis, some kind of virus, etc. You can submit fish for necropsy and diagnostic testing, but it's expensive so people rarely do.