Moving fish from one aquarium to another

jodip

Good morning all! I'm going to be moving my mollies to my larger tank.

Current tank-

Temp: 78F

pH: 8.2 / Amm: 0ppm / Nitrite: 0ppm / Nitrate: 10ppm / GH: 240+ppm / KH: 180ppm

Larger tank-

Temp: 78F

pH: 7.6 / Amm: 0ppm / Nitrite: 0ppm / Nitrate: 20ppm / GH: 240+ / KH: 80ppm

Can I move my mollies over without issue or should I acclimate them? I don't know if there is a large enough difference in pH to harm them or will the different KH levels harm them? The larger tank has a lot more plants and aqua soil instead of gravel and only a few plants. 

Hi @jodip

A drip acclimation never hurts!

To do this create a siphon with small airline hosing. You can then tie a knot at the end to make it start dripping. If you dont want to tie a knot you can always create another kink in the hose of some sort. Steady drips, 2 per second is a good number.

Good luck!

Edited by FrozenFins

On 4/4/2024 at 8:15 AM, FrozenFins said:

Hi @jodip

A drip acclimation never hurts!

To do this create a siphon with small airline hosing. You can then tie a knot at the end to make it start dripping. If you dont want to tie a knot you can always create another kink in the hose of some sort. Steady drips, 2 per second is a good number.

Good luck!

Thank you! How long do you drip aacclimate?

On 3/26/2024 at 10:23 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I got a pack of a bunch of different varieties off of Etsy! If you can’t find any from your LFS of course 🙂

On 4/4/2024 at 8:16 AM, jodip said:

Thank you! How long do you drip aacclimate?

Usually I like to do it till when your water level as doubled.

So, if you started with 2 gallons of your old tank water, wait until the water has doubled to 4 gallons before releasing the fish. Often this takes me anywhere between 30mins-1hr. 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:35 AM, FrozenFins said:

Usually I like to do it till when your water level as doubled.

So, if you started with 2 gallons of your old tank water, wait until the water has doubled to 4 gallons before releasing the fish. Often this takes me anywhere between 30mins-1hr. 

Perfect, thanks so much! I will do that.

• Like 1

honestly. with that little of variation between tanks. I'd probably just do it. the .6 difference in ph isn't going to be an issue. neither is the kh. most fish are acclimated because of temp differences (mostly), which you don't have. I honestly wouldn't hesitate to net and drop in new tank. actually less stress that way

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 12:55 PM, Tony s said:

honestly. with that little of variation between tanks. I'd probably just do it. the .6 difference in ph isn't going to be an issue. neither is the kh. most fish are acclimated because of temp differences (mostly), which you don't have. I honestly wouldn't hesitate to net and drop in new tank. actually less stress that way

Well that makes sense.  I would very much prefer to make it the least stressful I possibly can.  

• Like 1

If you were moving sensitive fish or shrimp. the yeah you could do a drip. they wouldn't like moving anyways. but mollies are usually tough. I've moved rainbows and angels and bettas and platys around with no issues

I move fish all over the place, especially when I’m raising fry. I hatch in one tank, move them to another tank, and then eventually move them to the final grow out tank until they go to the LFS. I’ve never acclimated them. Just netted them out and plopped them into the next tank. Same goes for fish that are done with quarantine and going to the display tank. Just net out and plop into the display. 

FWIW: I’ve never had issues doing this. 

• Like 3

That is good to know.  I've been erring on the side of caution before I do anything.  This forum has been such a great resource and always fast to answer. 

Acclimating them might be “best”, but all my tanks are basically the same. Close in temp, soft water with little to no buffer, and lower pH. All tanks get the same things every week. I focus on consistency rather than chasing arbitrary numbers. Because of this, I felt confident not acclimating between tanks, and I haven’t had an issue in the 4 years I’ve had all my tanks. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I move fish all over the place, especially when I’m raising fry. I hatch in one tank, move them to another tank, and then eventually move them to the final grow out tank until they go to the LFS. I’ve never acclimated them. Just netted them out and plopped them into the next tank. Same goes for fish that are done with quarantine and going to the display tank. Just net out and plop into the display. 

FWIW: I’ve never had issues doing this. 

It makes me feel better to know others plop and drop.   I only have 4 mollies and 3 fry so I don't really want to lose them.  

• Like 1

I'm in the "just do it" camp. Or tank.

I move fish between tanks regularly, and the only time I acclimate is for temp changes larger than 10F. Otherwise, plop and drop. Since your temps are nearly identical, should be no issues. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:31 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Acclimating them might be “best”, but all my tanks are basically the same. Close in temp, soft water with little to no buffer, and lower pH. All tanks get the same things every week. I focus on consistency rather than chasing arbitrary numbers. Because of this, I felt confident not acclimating between tanks, and I haven’t had an issue in the 4 years I’ve had all my tanks. 

Gotcha. I have no intention of chasing any parameter.  My 29 gallon tank is fairly new and just reached the point late last week where I could add fish if I wanted. I'm headed back home today (out of town for a week) and I've had someone checking on my fish, feeding, and testing my water for me.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:49 PM, Tony s said:

mollies are going to the new tank? just watch your parameters for a while. they could overload your bacteria

Yes, mollies. I meant I have 3 adults and 3 fry.  I lost one a few weeks ago (illness) and my brother in law found one stuck behind my filter a few days ago.  She was pregnant and I assume she thought she could fit where she used to.  

I do have some pest snails that showed up in the tank a couple weeks ago and they have multiplied quite a bit.  They are pooping machines! The tank has been doing well keeping up with them it seems.  I will absolutely watch my parameters, but do you think the bacteria will do well since it's already breaking down waste?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 3:59 PM, Tony s said:

It should. But just watch 

I will keep my eyes on it. Thanks for your input again. Much appreciated! 

On 4/4/2024 at 1:31 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Gotcha. I have no intention of chasing any parameter.  My 29 gallon tank is fairly new and just reached the point late last week where I could add fish if I wanted. I'm headed back home today (out of town for a week) and I've had someone checking on my fish, feeding, and testing my water for me.  

• Like 1