Not really new

Not really new, haven't really kept up here. Or talked. But here's the setup, and how things are going.

image.jpeg.27a6ae1557bd16039502fa979eba48ba.jpeg

This is a 90-liter. Three Apisto Trisfasciatas, four Nannostomus Marginatus (I know, I need two more minimum, working on it) bunch o' native paloeomonetes argentinus shrimp, six Oto's, and about twenty long apisto fry. And a truckload of MTS, ramshorns, one native unidentifiable snail which is awesome, and a new Anentome Helena that is unresponsive for some reason, albeit alive. And a bunch of freshwater worms, tubifex most likely, that I added so that they'd move the substrate around and occasionally provide a snack. 

Once I saw free swimming fry, I turned off the tiny filter I kept mostly for water movement, cleaned the sponge thoroughly to avoid the bacteria dying and spiking the ammonia levels, bumped up the photoperiod, started adding minimal ferts and let algae grow so that the fry can munch on more critters. Excuse the dirty glass pane, it's on purpose.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Your tank is stunning. I'm pretty new to keeping freshwater plants - what leaves are those? They kinda look like the bigleaf maples from my garden. What plants are those??? Specifically the lighter green fern-like plant in the center. I am in love with that so so so much... I MUST KNOW what they are and get some for my tank !!!!!!

The leaves are a mix. There might be some maple, some planetree, a handful of Taxodium Distichum leaves, Jacaranda mimosifolia pods, and a few others. 

As for the plants, I believe the "fern" you speak of would be Java Moss. There was a clump there, which I removed, and a single strand adhered to the rock, growing in a fernlike pattern. The rest are vallisneria spiralis or something similar (bought at a chain petstore, they didn't have a clue and would have most likely lied if I asked), some native Fissidens moss, Echinodorus, Limnobium Laevigatum, and a couple of unidentified others I got from fellow aquarists or from the river. 

On 3/14/2024 at 6:29 PM, JorgeO said:

The leaves are a mix. There might be some maple, some planetree, a handful of Taxodium Distichum leaves, Jacaranda mimosifolia pods, and a few others. 

As for the plants, I believe the "fern" you speak of would be Java Moss. There was a clump there, which I removed, and a single strand adhered to the rock, growing in a fernlike pattern. The rest are vallisneria spiralis or something similar (bought at a chain petstore, they didn't have a clue and would have most likely lied if I asked), some native Fissidens moss, Echinodorus, Limnobium Laevigatum, and a couple of unidentified others I got from fellow aquarists or from the river. 

Very very nice, I love all the variety, amazing looking tank again 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The one by the little Apistos? I honestly aren't sure. It's a local aquatic moss (local being Paraná Basin, Argentina, in the Delta). Here's a picture of where it was originally.

image.jpeg.9524761f74df181290c83bca6c4c2019.jpeg

I'll be back on a kayak one of these days.

Edited by JorgeO
Alignment

On 3/14/2024 at 7:55 PM, JorgeO said:

The one by the little Apistos? I honestly aren't sure. It's a local aquatic moss (local being Paraná Basin, Argentina, in the Delta). Here's a picture of where it was originally.image.jpeg.9524761f74df181290c83bca6c4c2019.jpeg

I'll be back on a kayak one of these days.

Actually I meant the stuff at very top of the water with steams coming down from it, the stuff that is everywhere on top @JorgeO

I meant this fella:

Screenshot2024-03-177_45_22PM.png.0ec342824cba2031c0b48c924757d31e.png

@JorgeO

"As for the plants, I believe the "fern" you speak of would be Java Moss. ...and a couple of unidentified others I got from fellow aquarists or from the river."

I reversed image searched and it shows up as indian swampweed (Hygrophila polysperma) ? If you pulled em from the river you wouldn't know but it looks right to me! Regardless, thanks for the aquascaping inspo!!!

• Like 2