I have a question about gh and kh. And need assistance.

So, currently have a kh and gh of: kh, 40 ppm which is like around 2 dkh or whatever that is (so confused on that) and gh of 60 ppm which is probably 3 dkh (what is that dkh or am I saying it wrong) the minnows I am soon getting (WCMMs) need a kh and gh of around 4 to 8 dkh. Do I need crushed coral? If I do? How much? Or no. Is this a big concern? Also input on importance of this will be helpful if u can help me on any of these things thanks a lot!!

• Like 1

My best advice is…. Don’t worry about. 

I’ve had my 14 tanks for 4 years and just bought a gh and kh test kit like 2 weeks ago. Used it once outside of curiosity. 

Outside of that, I’ve only ever looked at it on the Coop test strips and went, “yup, soft water with low kh”. Which I already knew. 

Don’t worry about it. Your minnows will be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:21 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My best advice is…. Don’t worry about. 

I’ve had my 14 tanks for 4 years and just bought a gh and kh test kit like 2 weeks ago. Used it once outside of curiosity. 

Outside of that, I’ve only ever looked at it on the Coop test strips and went, “yup, soft water with low kh”. Which I already knew. 

Don’t worry about it. Your minnows will be fine. 

Thanks a lot! I am glad about that! Now I am finally going to get my minnows soon this week after almost 2 months 😄

• Love 1

Ok to break it down kh carbonate hardness and DKH(degrees of carbonateHardness) are the amount of buffer in you’re water that’s carbonate, bicarbonate and phosphate mostly the first two more you have the higher the pH will be 

GH is general hardness, mostly comprising of magnesium and calcium also most other elements freshwater fish, constantly absorb water through their skin. They then expel that water or their blood would thin but they don’t get rid of all the elements they absorb with the water they keep some and use it 

if a fish is used to hard water with lots of minerals, will get rid of most of the minerals that it absorbs if you put that fish in soft water, it will still get rid of most of the minerals but now there’s not enough anymore, it takes time for its body to adjust to keep more of what it’s pulling in 

there’s also osmotic shock but that’s not important right now lol

The thing to remember is most will adapt. Specially, something like a white cloud their bodies will adjust so I wouldn’t worry too much about it

Edited by face
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 9:33 PM, face said:

Ok to break it down kh carbonate hardness and DKH(degrees of carbonateHardness) are the amount of buffer in you’re water that’s carbonate, bicarbonate and phosphate mostly the first two more you have the higher the pH will be 

GH is general hardness, mostly comprising of magnesium and calcium also most other elements freshwater fish, constantly absorb water through their skin. They then expel that water or their blood would thin but they don’t get rid of all the elements they absorb with the water they keep some and use it 

if a fish is used to hard water with lots of minerals, will get rid of most of the minerals that it absorbs if you put that fish in soft water, it will still get rid of most of the minerals but now there’s not enough anymore, it takes time for its body to adjust to keep more of what it’s pulling in 

there’s also osmotic shock but that’s not important right now lol

The thing to remember is most will adapt. Specially, something like a white cloud their bodies will adjust so I wouldn’t worry too much about it

Wow. Thanks a lot! Never knew!! @face! Thanks for the time for all that!

On 2/8/2024 at 3:04 AM, Galabar said:

Yeah, those levels should be fine.  As long as you are doing water changes, you'll refresh the KH (which is consumed during nitrification).

Thanks that is good news! I am getting the fish tomorrow hopefully!