Salt

I know there is marine salt and aquarium salt as well as the Aquarium Co Op Baby Brine Shrimp Salt.  I know that marine salt and aquarium salt are two different types of salt.  Marine salt is used to create a salt water or brackish tank.  Aquarium salt, I believe, is used more to keep the fish and tank healthy.  Obviously the Aquarium Co Op Baby Brine Shrimp Salt is supposed to be used in the hatching of baby brine shrimp.  I want to buy some aquarium salt to keep my tank healthy and was going to buy the Fritz Freshwater salt.  The reviews are very good on their salt but wanted to get some opinions from folks on this forum.  Also can you use the Aquarium Co-Op Baby Brine Shrimp salt as Marine salt as well?  I currently use Instant Ocean and am almost out. I have 14 pounds of the Aquarium       Co-Op Baby Brine Shrimp Salt and was curious if I could use that in place of the Instant Ocean.

• Like 2

To the best of my knowledge it goes like this:

-Marine salt is salt plus other trace elements 

-Aquarium salt is just salt by itself, no additional trace minerals

-Aquarium Coop salt is branded as Brine Shrimp salt, but is essentially marine salt. Salt plus other trace elements 

• Like 3

Aquarium salt is sodium chloride nothing else it’s primarily used to treat parasites and some bacteria or help a sick fish maintain equilibrium if you test your water after dosing nothing but your total dissolved solids will go up (tds)

marine salt has large amounts of calcium carbonate and magnesium (exact amount depends on brand )if you put this in your aquarium it will help increase kh and gh as well as tds it also has a bunch of trace elements we can’t really test for 

the brine shrimp salt is like marine salt as far as I can tell the only difference I can see is it might have a different quantity of elements and it has a consistent grain size so 1 tablespoons is the same amount every time different marine salts have different sizes so there’s going to be different amounts of salt in a tablespoon 

• Like 2

@AllFishNoBrakes and @face are on point as to what each type of salt contains. If marine salt includes 99% of ingredient A, plus 1% of all other ingredients B thru M, then aquarium salt is just ingredient A, 100%. Other types of salt are also the same as aquarium salt. I use Kosher salt, bought in bulk from a bulk food store. The smaller flake size dissolves much faster in water. 

Personally I use marine salt for making bbs. Sure it costs a bit more, but the cost per bbs batch is still very very tiny. 

I've never used the coop salt. But based on the info on coop site, I agree that it looks very similar to marine salt. 

• Like 1