Does low kh slow cycle???

On 1/17/2024 at 11:55 PM, Galabar said:

I used FritzZyme 7 and an ammonia source on a "sterile" tank and it took about 2 1/2 weeks.  So, that seems to be in line with what everyone else is seeing (maybe could be 1/2 the time with a nitrite source to start with).

I did exactly what you are proposing: I waited for the ammonia to hit 0 and then added more, allowing both ammonia and nitrite to hit 0.

You are doing your future fish a big favor by doing this fishless cycle and you seem to be doing it successfully (so far)! 🙂

Yes I found out about the fishless cycle only like a couple months ago because I have been doing fish keeping for just a little over year now!

On 1/18/2024 at 3:51 AM, Lonkley said:

Yes, except you should see that a few days in a row to make sure everything is somewhat ready. Then slowly add fish.  The idea is that the ammonia you are adding represents fish waste.  Your beneficial bacteria colonies are like invisible pets you have to feed to make them grow.

Yes.I have been emailing do Tim’s Aquatics for passed several days and I told hime about the kh and gh being a little low and he said that means longer cycles and told me to do a 33% water change but DONT disturb the substrate…..I add declaranater to the new water right??Because I thought about stress coat will kill ammonia right????? I am prob wrong but first time doing the “fishless” cycle sooo…..

On 1/18/2024 at 5:50 AM, Colten OSteen said:

I add declaranater to the new water right??

Always add dechlorinator when putting in new water. I dose for the whole volume of my tank, regardless of the amount of water I took out. So, for my 29 gallon tanks I dose 3ml of Prime or Complete. 1ml for my 10 gallon tanks. 5.5ml for my 55 gallon tanks, etc. 

• Like 1