BBS hatching question #2

Monkeypoint

How do you know when they’ve hatched? I realize this is probably a stupid question but as this is my first time hatching baby brine shrimp, I’m not sure what the hatchings look like. I’m seeing a lot of tiny brown eggs swirling around. I started with a very small batch - 1/8th of a teaspoon. I would have used less water but the heater isn’t long enough so I had to go with nearly 2 liters. It’s been running for nearly 24 hours. 

On 1/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, Monkeypoint said:

How do you know when they’ve hatched? I realize this is probably a stupid question but as this is my first time hatching baby brine shrimp, I’m not sure what the hatchings look like. I’m seeing a lot of tiny brown eggs swirling around. I started with a very small batch - 1/8th of a teaspoon. I would have used less water but the heater isn’t long enough so I had to go with nearly 2 liters. It’s been running for nearly 24 hours. 

The bb will be pink in color jerking swimming motion. Also attracted to light. You may want to stop the air for a minute to observe. 

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 2

I'd call them orange, but if you kill the air you should be able to see something swimming around if they have hatched.  Part way through they look like they're parachutes hanging out of their eggs.  After that they will just sink to the bottom.  Then they start getting their swimmerets or whatever they're called and can move.

image.png.141da607d47ffad1939914fd57b7371a.png

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:39 PM, jwcarlson said:

I'd call them orange, but if you kill the air you should be able to see something swimming around if they have hatched.  Part way through they look like they're parachutes hanging out of their eggs.  After that they will just sink to the bottom.  Then they start getting their swimmerets or whatever they're called and can move.

Thank you! Now I know what to look for. 

• Like 2