Storing Vegetables for Pleco

knee

I just bought some cucumber and zucchini for my plecos (BN and clown). I'm planning to feed it to them raw but I only have 4 plecos so at most I will only feed one to two slices of the veggies. They also have three kinds of veggie wafers (Omega One, Northfin and NLS). I also have repashy for backup.

What's the best way to keep the vegetables from decomposing? Should I cut them up to slices then freeze or freeze the whole thing and only cut as needed? 

Should I wrap them in plastic wrap or foil before freezing?

I have found that freezing cucumbers is not a good idea because they become slimy and soft when defrosted. However, I have had success with freezing zucchini and broccoli to use for my fish. I don't blanch the vegetables before freezing because the defrosting process will soften them. I slice the veggies into portions and freeze them individually on a plate. Once they are completely frozen, I transfer them to a freezer bag. They will stay fresh for a couple of months.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 5:30 PM, PaigeIs said:

I have found that freezing cucumbers is not a good idea because they become slimy and soft when defrosted. However, I have had success with freezing zucchini and broccoli to use for my fish. I don't blanch the vegetables before freezing because the defrosting process will soften them. I slice the veggies into portions and freeze them individually on a plate. Once they are completely frozen, I transfer them to a freezer bag. They will stay fresh for a couple of months.

I’ll do that for my zucchini then. I’m guessing I should just put the cucumber in the fridge? I’m gonna feed them cucumber tonight and I will have leftovers for sure because I only need 2-3 slices. 

Feeding heavily on algae when it comes to  commercial foods and supporting diet with blanched veggies might be a better idea I think. Veggy based fish food may include fish and fish derivatives, veggie protein, etc as their main ingredients and sometimes the amount of algae is around %1 or so. Or you meant algae wafers?

I wash and prepare all the veggies ready to be fed by blanching stored in the freezer. My bristlenoses have much easier time eating blanched veggies, or boiled if I gotta be honest. I don't feed cucumber to anything, but I do use zucchini. Other than that I also use capia pepper, green beans, peas, collard greens, pumpkin. Mine are never picky and they love veggies.

You can also make snellos with these if you are lazy just like me, but avoid stuff added specifically for snails. It works well for me

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:14 AM, Lennie said:

Or you meant algae wafers?

I meant this yes 😂

I got the veggie wafers from omega one, kelp wafers from northfin and algae max from NLS