Baby brine shrimp questions

Monkeypoint

I just watched Cory's excellent video tutorial about hatching baby brine shrimp. I only have 2 tanks - well, 3 if I include the 3-gallon nano stocked only with neocaridina. The entire process looked so cool that I indulged in some retail therapy and bought the Ziss hatchery (total impulse buy). I have a few questions:

1. How often do you feed fish bbs? Every day? My 68 gallon tank has Angelfish, Siamese algae eaters, one Molly, Neon tetras and a couple of Bristlenose plecos. I have a 15 gallon stocked with Amano and Neocaridina shrimp, Ember tetras and a Bristlenose pleco.

2. Will Amano shrimp and Neocaridinas eat them as well?

3. Is there a way to safely preserve uneaten shrimp, like dehydrating and storing in the freezer?

Thank you!

Edited by Monkeypoint

On 12/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, Monkeypoint said:

I just watched Cory's excellent video tutorial about hatching baby brine shrimp. I only have 2 tanks - well, 3 if I include the 3-gallon nano stocked only with neocaridina. The entire process looked so cool that I indulged in some retail therapy and bought the Ziss hatchery (total impulse buy). I have a few questions:

1. How often do you feed fish bbs? Every day? My 68 gallon tank has Angelfish, Siamese algae eaters, one Molly, Neon tetras and a couple of Bristlenose plecos. I have a 15 gallon stocked with Amano and Neocaridina shrimp, Ember tetras and a Bristlenose pleco.

2. Will Amano shrimp and Neocaridinas eat them as well?

3. Is there a way to safely preserve uneaten shrimp, like dehydrating and storing in the freezer?

Thank you!

@Monkeypoint Newly hatched brine shrimp is highly nutritional after a day loses nutritional value. Yes you could feed every day. I suggest hatching small amounts of eggs but if you want freeze the rest. Not sure if large Angelfish will eat them but the tetras yes.

Don't have any experience with shrimp. Be careful of overfeeding bbs because that will definitely affect your water parameters. 

On 12/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, Tlindsey said:

@Monkeypoint Newly hatched brine shrimp is highly nutritional after a day loses nutritional value. Yes you could feed every day. I suggest hatching small amounts of eggs but if you want freeze the rest. Not sure if large Angelfish will eat them but the tetras yes.

Don't have any experience with shrimp. Be careful of overfeeding bbs because that will definitely affect your water parameters. 

Thank you,

The Angelfish, Molly, and SAEs are always ravenous - especially the angels. They’re a little over a year old now and not super big. They charge across the tank like missiles when I walk in the room and stick their mouths out of the water. I think they’ll go nuts for them. 

• Like 1

1. Most of your fish will enjoy the brine shrimp! Especially the tetras and smaller fish. Just be careful to not overfeed them. 

2. I hatch one big batch, harvest, freeze the majority of it to feed in the coming week, and what is leftover is fed live. Here’s some pics:

IMG_4325.jpeg.c21fc855d1321fd95a084a67390bb529.jpeg

Full harvest. 
IMG_4327.jpeg.78c44856e15a1b3c6ca2978d3bba0d3c.jpeg

In the tray is what’s get frozen. In the Tupperware is what gets fed live the day of. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 1:23 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

In the tray is what’s get frozen. In the Tupperware is what gets fed live the day of. 

This is brilliant! Thanks - I can't wait to try this out.

Do shrimp eat bbs? My Amanos got HUGE. And they're always hungry. I'm not sure they'd be able to catch them though.

The pics are very helpful, btw.

Edited by Monkeypoint
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 1:40 PM, Monkeypoint said:

Do shrimp eat bbs? My Amanos got HUGE. And they're always hungry. I'm not sure they'd be able to catch them though.

I bet they probably do, but I can’t confirm it. As in I’ve never seen with my own 2 eyes a shrimp eating a bbs, but if it hits the bottom (which it will if it’s frozen and gets passed the fish) and they get ahold of it I’m sure they would. 

I’ve seen my shrimp eat bloodworms, so that leads me to believe they would eat bbs. 

On 12/29/2023 at 1:40 PM, Monkeypoint said:

This is brilliant! Thanks - I can't wait to try this out.

Thanks! Appreciate it. I would rather hatch once per week or every 8 days, as I can’t harvest daily. This works super well for me. 

I feed 2 horizontal rows daily between all my tanks. Works really well for me.  

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes