Cycling a 20 gallon

Scaperoot

I set this up on Saturday with some Fritz 7 and used filter media from a seasoned tank. I have not done any water changes. I did add a pinch of food last night. These were my results this morning. Will the PH come down on its own? 

9C8FAD47-CE65-4D05-976F-1A544BC48CAB.jpeg

B38EC334-3199-4AA6-80FA-96F271A2D594.jpeg

Edited by Scaperoot
Spelling

I think your PH is your PH - I don't use that kit so not sure what your results are. 

I always add Fritz with fish, and keep an eye on the nitrites - ammonia has never been a problem for my planted tanks. If the nitrates get above .25 (light purple) I'll do a water change. A couple days later, after the Prime/dechlorinator wears off, I might add more bacteria. It looks like all your plants might be slow growers, so I would consider adding a fast growing plant to help out. 

My PH in a new tank is always higher than an established/seasoned tank regardless of moving over filter media. Not a huge difference but it goes like this. My tap water is 8 but settles to around 7.8 after I let it sit for whatever reason. My tanks are all between 7.6-7.8. 

As for the other results, just eyeballing but it looks like you have minimum results on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This is normal for me for about a week after staring a tank with used filter media. I almost always get a tiny ammonia and or nitrite spike that sorts itself out in short order. I've never used fritz so I can't comment.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:32 PM, Galabar said:

Ok, from those tests, it looks like you have ammonia, nitrite, and (some) nitrate present.

For the API pH test, do you have the high range pH test that comes with the master kit?  The standard pH test cuts off at a certain range.

I do. So, it may actually be higher than 7.4?