Mystery snail behavior

Kit Craft

I got my new trumpet snails and mystery snails in the mail today. But when I put the jade mystery snail in with the purple the purple immediately released from the side of the tank and went to the jade and stuck itself to the jade snails face. I'm guessing they are mating. That was quick. 

Any cause for alarm? Could it be something other than mating? That beeline it made; I am guessing it is mating though. But it has been that way for like an hour.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, Lennie said:

Male mystery snails live to have snex. Sounds like mating

Make sure you have a tight fitting lid and lower the water level a bit 

Thank you. The poor thing is the size of a nickel, and the purple is the size of a golf ball...Anyway, water is down about 2 inches, and the lid is good to go. I was prepared. Just surprised it was so fast. 

My trumpet snails must of all made it cuz I can't find them, lol. 

While mating, the male sits on right top of the shell. Tho I havent seen any of my mysteries mating when they are that small. Now it sounds a bit unlikely

if she is that big, she mightve already mated at where she came from. They can store sperm for a while. Tho, males may attempt to have snex with other males, or even other big snails like trapdoors and rabbits. So until I see eggs or checking their organs, I wouldnt be sure about their gender

Im glad to hear all are active and doing fine after the shipment

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:11 PM, Lennie said:

While mating, the male sits on right top of the shell. Tho I havent seen any of my mysteries mating when they are that small. Now it sounds a bit unlikely

if she is that big, she mightve already mated at where she came from. They can store sperm for a while. Tho, males may attempt to have snex with other males, or even other big snails like trapdoors and rabbits. So until I see eggs or checking their organs, I wouldnt be sure about their gender

Im glad to hear all are active and doing fine after the shipment

The purple one is the one I'd guess is a male, the big one. I've had it since it was the size of a pea. He moved on to the extra snail they sent me. The first one seems fine anyway, lol. 

But it isn't on the shell but like, face to face. 

Edited by Kit Craft
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, Pokey said:

Maybe he was lonely and very happy to see another of his kind? That’s great they all seem to be in good shape! 😃

Lol he worked through all of the new arrivals. I order a pack of colors to eventually spread across a few tanks, but they are so small that I am keeping them together for now. I'd say he was suck to each one for around 3 hours. They had a wee bit of algae on their shells so idk if he was cleaning or mating. But he is so much bigger it looks like he is trying to eat them. 

Edit: Dude likes to steamroll them to steal their zucchini...lol. 

Edited by Kit Craft
  • Haha 1