Fluval 25W - Enough for Betta hospital tank?

BeeGryphon

Hi everyone, long time no see! My very smart boy has injured his eye and is being banished to the sick boy jail. I just grabbed a Fluval 25W heater since the hospital tank is only a 5 gallon, but I didn't pay attention to the fact that it's set to only be 76-78 F and I'm worried that will be too cool for him, especially since he's already sick and stressed. Will it be good enough? His community tank has a 50W ACO heater, which might be overkill in a 5 gallon tank, but I could set it lower, and the other fish (ember tetra and pygmy cories) should be fine at a lower heat while he recovers. Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks all!

If the room is not too cold I think it should be fine. At the end of the day these 25W heaters are supposed to be used in some tanks and 5g are one of the smallest options if not the smallest

Keep the temp in check to see if it can keep it between the numbers you desire to see

hope your lil friend gets better soon

On 11/12/2023 at 10:34 PM, Lennie said:

If the room is not too cold I think it should be fine. At the end of the day these 25W heaters are supposed to be used in some tanks and 5g are one of the smallest options if not the smallest

Keep the temp in check to see if it can keep it between the numbers you desire to see

hope your lil friend gets better soon

The room is not usually too cold to me (although I am a human furnace so maybe not the greatest gauge), and the heater is keeping the tank within the temperature range it states it should, 76-78, my concern is just that that might be too cool for a betta? Normally I keep him at 79, which I believe is the lower end of a betta temperature range. Just worried about doing him more harm than good, but hopefully it will be okay for just a few days. Thanks!

My bad. I missed the temperature point and only focused on the capability of keeping the tank between the aimed temps.

Especially considering it is healing, to make sure the immunity system is not negatively affected, keeping the tank above those abovementioned temp would be a good idea I believe.

I tag the related part from a video Ive watched before. 

I "think" 50w should be fine for a 5g tank as long as it works properly. My smallest tank is 50 liters and I usually use 50 or 75w heaters on these. I believe the issue would arise only if the heater breaks down but otherwise should be okay?

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1