Tank mates for Hillstream loaches

madmark285

I have a 29 gallon tank with a Tidal 75 mounted on the side of the tank. A full output, it creates an impressive current in the tank. Should be perfect for Hillstream loaches (maybe 4 of them).

But what else with them? Large school of Cardinal Tetra? How about Candy Cane tetras?

I currently have a 40 gallon Barb tank with a school of panda cories and setting up a 75 gallon Mbuna tank. 

Hillstream loaches like a fast current and almost no tetra likes a current nor their temp preference.

Danios like a current, i have white cloud minnows with them, they enjoy the current too but the fry wont hatch/survive the turbulent setup.

I would avoid bottom dwelling fish, i have them with panda garra and they chase them from places. The garras don't mind but timid fish like corydoras, plecos or other could be too scared.

Or you can move the barbs to the hillstream tank and set up the corydoras with your favorite tetra and adjust both to match each species better.

Your setup with the Tidal 75 and hillstream loaches sounds awesome! For tankmates, cardinal tetras could bring a cool contrast, and candy cane tetras might add some extra flair. Just keep an eye on the water flow for them. Exciting times with the barb tank and the mbuna setup too! Any thoughts on other potential buddies for the hillstream loaches?

On 11/11/2023 at 12:30 PM, beastie said:

Hillstream loaches like a fast current and almost no tetra likes a current nor their temp preference.

The current is circular in the tank, the middle is much calmer. I usually turn the filter way down at night to give the guys a break but sometimes I forget.  But this is a concern, I had the barbs in this tank and their behavior did change in the strong current. 

On 11/11/2023 at 12:30 PM, beastie said:

Or you can move the barbs to the hillstream tank and set up the corydoras with your favorite tetra and adjust both to match each species better.

Way too many barbs for a 29 gallon (24 Odessa and Tiger barbs). I do have 5 Serpae Tetra I could move over. 

From Care Guide for Hillstream Loaches, these guys are much more tolerant of temperatures which makes sense, during the summer streams in Vietnam will warm up nicely. So I not worried about putting them in a 76 degree tank.   

How about these guys, Forktail Rainbows?

ForktailRainbow_470x.jpg.122fa9ae5a9b6638b8f50c0913a54b78.jpg