Ich prevention using ich-x

FyaNyan

Hello. 
I have a simple question
How do you safely do ich prevention with ich-x medication?

I have a new batch of mollies that appear healthy now, but since I got them from PetSmart I am guessing they are carrying ich. I want to do prevention treatment rather than current infection treatment.

The last batch of mollies I bought suddenly died, and I believe it was from over medication. My new batch is in a larger tank—a 10 gallon quarantine bin with a sponge filter and heater. I am doing a 25% water change every day. Water temp is about 76 degrees. 

I read instructions on the bottle, but it doesn’t say how long to treat the fish for, and it assumes you are treating active infection. 

• Should I use a lower dose of ich-x than recommended?
• How many doses? And how long between doses?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!!! ❤️

On 10/30/2023 at 11:44 AM, FyaNyan said:

Hello. 
I have a simple question
How do you safely do ich prevention with ich-x medication?

I have a new batch of mollies that appear healthy now, but since I got them from PetSmart I am guessing they are carrying ich. I want to do prevention treatment rather than current infection treatment.

The last batch of mollies I bought suddenly died, and I believe it was from over medication. My new batch is in a larger tank—a 10 gallon quarantine bin with a sponge filter and heater. I am doing a 25% water change every day. Water temp is about 76 degrees. 

I read instructions on the bottle, but it doesn’t say how long to treat the fish for, and it assumes you are treating active infection. 

• Should I use a lower dose of ich-x than recommended?
• How many doses? And how long between doses?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!!! ❤️

Anytime you medicate fish, it stresses them and could cause other complications or weakness. Meds also make it harder for the fish to breathe because it changes the viscosity of the water (makes it thicker).  Instead of using meds, I would advise you to use aquarium salt.  Consider it a "broad spectrum" treatment and preventative.  It will provide electrolytes and stimulate their slime coat as well. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish.  If you do see ich develop at any point, it cannot survive in warm water.  You'd want to raise the temp to 86 (gradually, 1 degree per hour) and keep it there until all symptoms are gone + a few extra days.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 10/30/2023 at 1:45 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Anytime you medicate fish, it stresses them and could cause other complications or weakness. Meds also make it harder for the fish to breathe because it changes the viscosity of the water (makes it thicker).  Instead of using meds, I would advise you to use aquarium salt.  Consider it a "broad spectrum" treatment and preventative.  It will provide electrolytes and stimulate their slime coat as well. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish.  If you do see ich develop at any point, it cannot survive in warm water.  You'd want to raise the temp to 86 (gradually, 1 degree per hour) and keep it there until all symptoms are gone + a few extra days.

Okay! I had forgotten that this was an option. I have some salt—not a “good” brand but it is aquarium salt from Walmart. Would that work? Or should I buy something better? Or is aquarium salt all basically the same?