Accidental Breeder

Elizabeth Power

I bought a few coral platy's from my LFS. I needed an easy fish for my 20 gal aquarium. They had babies and they all got eaten even though the tank had lots of plants. I just wanted a few to survive. So I made some adjustments. A few months later I had counted 50 babies and that's just what I could see and with more on the way. 

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I certainly can't keep them all. I'm chronically ill so it's been hard to give my tank and the fish the care they deserve, let alone dealing with all the issues that goes along with trying to sell them. 

There is no local aquarium club or other group. So taking them back to the LFS as a donation seems to be my only option. I've looked at some of the posts that I thought were relevant and that helped some. But I still have questions. If there is a relevant post that I've missed please let me know. 

Here are my current questions: 

How big do the babies need to be for them to be ready to be sent away to a new home (LFS)?

Is there an easier way to catch them other than a net? And an easy way to separate them if I catch the ones that need to go along with ones that still need to grow?

20231003_142910.jpg

20231003_122308.jpg

-When it comes to sizing, I try to grow my fish up to at least the size I typically see in the store. Also, don’t be afraid to talk to your LFS and see what they prefer. The last time I brought some Angels the manager was like, “Oh, they’re a little bit bigger this time!” So I’ve been growing them out to a little bigger before I bring them in. 

-Catching fish is honestly one of my least favorite things. However, it gets easier with time. Be patient, and it gets easier with more practice. 

-How many really depends on how often you’re willing to do water changes. Test often and water change as necessary. If you’re tired of doing water changes, it’s time to offload some fish. 

• Like 1