Mystery snail hatchling

Confetto

Sept 15th I had posted here that my mystery snail had produced a clutch of eggs. Since then, two more clutches have been laid.

Tonight when I got home from work, I discovered my first snail baby. I moved it from the paper towels to the floating breeder box in my cycled quarantine tank with an algae wafer and some crushed crab cuisine pellets.

Baby is moving around in the breeder box.

Do I just manually move the snails from the incubator box to the breeder as they show up? I watched several videos about snail eggs, but no definitive answer as to when I know the clutch is ready manually assist the baby snails emergence. My first clutch isn't that moldy color I keep reading about (see photo below) how long do I let the birth process go naturally?

IMG_20231003_235548235~2.jpg

IMG_20231004_011508272.jpg

It can take days for that sack to finish! 
I found that sometimes swishing it in the water can help free some snails that might be stuck in the center, but this also was just how I did it after waiting!

you can let the snails hatch then move them over. If they were hung on to a tank they would just fall right in the tank once they hatched.

this is what I do

Rachel O Leary also does the same. Basically gently crushing the eggs when it is ready.

I dont think many would be able to climb that small tub in your picture and make it. If left alone, I even see many failing to climb down to the tank from the water gap I leave for them to lay on.

Edited by Lennie

Zamboni was pregnant when I got her back in May. The water level in my OG tank is pretty high, so imagine my surprise when a 2in clutch of eggs appeared... And then, two others! I had to transfer the clutches to a bigger tank as currently I only have the cycled 3 gallon. And by bigger tank, it's a sterilite tote.  A population boom in my small Aqueon would crash it. If you look at the picture above, the midsize clutch was actually touching the water when Zamboni laid it. That is why it's kind of wonky shaped and we lost about 20 to 30 eggs. 

As of this morning, no other hatchlings have emerged yet. I realize that the incubator tray is a challenge for the baby snails to climb out of, but it's what I had on hand. It was originally in the OG tank while I cycled the hatchery tub. Now that the birth process has begun, I am monitoring hourly if any others appear. I suppose I will give this a few days before I smoosh the clutch.

This is all the first for me. I did not have Pregnant Mystery Snail on my BINGO card when I got started last yeat. I just wanted a small tank with either a betta or a snail to enjoy. Now there's a 10 gallon hatchery tub in the kitchen and soon there will be a 20L gallon set up in the common room 😆 How very quickly this hobby expands itself. 

On 10/4/2023 at 5:13 PM, Confetto said:

Zamboni was pregnant when I got her back in May. The water level in my OG tank is pretty high, so imagine my surprise when a 2in clutch of eggs appeared... And then, two others! I had to transfer the clutches to a bigger tank as currently I only have the cycled 3 gallon. And by bigger tank, it's a sterilite tote.  A population boom in my small Aqueon would crash it. If you look at the picture above, the midsize clutch was actually touching the water when Zamboni laid it. That is why it's kind of wonky shaped and we lost about 20 to 30 eggs. 

As of this morning, no other hatchlings have emerged yet. I realize that the incubator tray is a challenge for the baby snails to climb out of, but it's what I had on hand. It was originally in the OG tank while I cycled the hatchery tub. Now that the birth process has begun, I am monitoring hourly if any others appear. I suppose I will give this a few days before I smoosh the clutch.

This is all the first for me. I did not have Pregnant Mystery Snail on my BINGO card when I got started last yeat. I just wanted a small tank with either a betta or a snail to enjoy. Now there's a 10 gallon hatchery tub in the kitchen and soon there will be a 20L gallon set up in the common room 😆 How very quickly this hobby expands itself. 

This way if the humidity is right and eggs are fertilised, they will hatch but the babies likely gonna dry out or wont make it out from the sack and die. And yes you are right, they can have big populations and bioload. If you worry about population I would recommend destroying the eggs after a day they are laid. This way rather than losing developed babies you would instead prevent this issue at the first place.

Like this:

Edited by Lennie