Desk Tank Setup

wes.crockett

On 10/7/2023 at 11:27 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’m a bit of a engineering nerd, so how do you code the printer? Is there a direct user interface or is it a sort of drawing thing?

You’ve got me thinking about printing an uplift tube for a HOBB using my schools 3D printer…😅

3d models are made using CAD software like 3d Builder, Tinkercad, and others. Then another piece of software called a Slicer (Prusa Slicer, Cura, etc) translate the 3d model to something called G-Code. G-code is used in 3d printers, CNC machines, and engravers and is a machine-instruction like language that tells the print head/bed/heater what to do and when and how. That is the 10,000ft view of how it works.

Check out 3d Printing nerd on Youtube for some great content on this stuff.

• Thanks 1

Shrimp Update... Only three are left alive...

I don't know what's causing the issue though. Ammonia is zero... my AQ Test strips show no Chlorine, Nitrate, Nitrite. medium hardness and low PH 6.4 territory). buffer is 0 as well.

The three that are left all look healthy though, so that is encouraging. my thought is, after a few weeks of them being OK (assuming that they are OK in a few weeks), I will get a few more from a different seller to help mix the gene pool a bit.

I also want to get a snail in here... I need an algae eater for the walls but I don't want a bunch of eggs and stuff in the tank. Any recommendations? Magenta Mystery Snails are probably too big, I would assume. Would a Horned Nerite or a King Koopa Nerite be ok for that?

PXL_20231010_164706170.jpg

In my experience, shrimp generally do better in a well seasoned tank vs. a brand new tank. They need a stable environment with algae and other things for them to graze on. Generally speaking, the shrimplets born and grown up in your water will be rock solid, though. 

The other thought that comes to mind is maybe the pH is a little low for their liking. You’re using an active soil, right? Any idea what the breeder was keeping them at that you got them from?

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm hoping at least 1 male and 1 female make it. It is newly set up but there is already a lot of algae and such, thought being such a small tank means variables can change easily.

I am using active soil and co2 so the oxygen levels and pH may be lower than desirable for sure.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, wes.crockett said:

Shrimp Update... Only three are left alive...

I don't know what's causing the issue though. Ammonia is zero... my AQ Test strips show no Chlorine, Nitrate, Nitrite. medium hardness and low PH 6.4 territory). buffer is 0 as well.

The three that are left all look healthy though, so that is encouraging. my thought is, after a few weeks of them being OK (assuming that they are OK in a few weeks), I will get a few more from a different seller to help mix the gene pool a bit.

I also want to get a snail in here... I need an algae eater for the walls but I don't want a bunch of eggs and stuff in the tank. Any recommendations? Magenta Mystery Snails are probably too big, I would assume. Would a Horned Nerite or a King Koopa Nerite be ok for that?

PXL_20231010_164706170.jpg

Maybe the low buffer is at fault? 
Nerites would be perfect, tho I’ve always had problems getting them past the first week. Otocinclus might also be a good option, if the tank wasn’t so small.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:12 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe the low buffer is at fault? 
Nerites would be perfect, tho I’ve always had problems getting them past the first week. Otocinclus might also be a good option, if the tank wasn’t so small.

I'll check out nerites for sure. The only snail I have, in my other tank, is an assassin snail.. he's awesome, but not a great cleaner.

I have 2 oto's in my community tank too, but they like to be in bigger groups... The two of them I have are extremely skittish and, I hear, it's  because I have too few of them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:47 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Have you got any berried females? You could save some $ if you’re willing to wait, seeing as you definitely have at least one female judging from the last pic. ⬆️

Is that larger one a female? I wasn't sure. So far, no signs of mating.

On 10/5/2023 at 6:33 PM, wes.crockett said:

The shrimp are here! looks like 1 dead and 1... not blue? I would love an explanation if someone knows what is up with the odd one... My plan is to just put that one in my other, community, tank so it can't breed.

As a shrimp novice, how do these look? Ended up with 9, healthy looking, blue ones.

PXL_20231005_222230750.jpg

PXL_20231005_222909769.jpg

PXL_20231005_222901059.jpg

PXL_20231005_222905661.jpg

I actually really like that not blue one! It is cute. 

Edited by Kit Craft

• 2 weeks later...