Unauthorized snail breeding LoL

Confetto

Within the last 36 hours, I have been feverishly reading up on what to do about the possible population boom in my three gallon tank. 

Clearly not ideal situation, however Zamboni has laid a lovely egg clutch on the door of her tank. I am not remotely prepared to house snail babies. I have sent a text to the fish store where I got Zamboni if they would be interested in taking the snails should they survive, and have asked two hobby friends if they would like to foster in one of their bonus tanks or I have two weeks to borrow and set up a hatchery tank. Waiting for responses.

In the meantime, this morning when I went to feed Zamboni, the clutch slid across the the condensation on the door/lid. In a hasty moment, I used an Ikea snack container, lined it with paper towel & a tablespoon of tank water and floating it in my tank. This is the sketchiest DIY LoL!

Please tell me I am giving these guys the best chance. The idea of disposing the clutch didn't sit right with me. I would rather nature do it nature does and figure out the details when we get there. This could be a sack of unfertilized eggs as Zamboni is the only inhabitant.. OR Zee has a backstory I wasn't aware of when I adopted her.

IMG_20230913_073842291.jpg

IMG_20230913_142636437~2.jpg

IMG_20230914_124742013.jpg

IMG_20230914_124730728.jpg

Hi @Confetto, wow that’s a big clutch!  I’m a newbie to incubating mystery snail clutches and just finished my second clutch. My first clutch was big but only 7 snails hatched (3 survived). My second clutch was much smaller, only the size of a chick pea and 23 hatched out of that one. All were in a 4 gallon and let me tell you things got funky in a hurry. I was feeding a lot and those hungry mouths are eating and pooping a lot. It was very stressful siphoning out old food every day and checking and double checking for any babies I may have accidentally siphoned up. If you’re going to raise them, I’d definitely go with a 10 gal minimum. I think I read a clutch can potentially have 150+ babies.

Is Zamboni the only occupant in that 3 gal?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:08 PM, Stef said:

@Confetto

Is Zamboni the only occupant in that 3 gal?

Yes, Zamboni lives alone in a planted nano tank.  

My LFS got back to me & said they could help rehome any babes I can't handle. Woohoo - store credit!

Fingers crossed I can borrow a larger tank for a temporary hatchery. With the possibility of babies, my plans fory 20L may have gotten pushed forward LoL! 

• Love 1

@Confetto add a dry paper towel on top of the moist one. Then add a lid to the Tupperware, with holes in it (use pushpin). 

Layers: moist, dry, eggs, lid with holes 

@Stef is right. A 3 gallon will not be able to handle to bioload. I have done it in a 10gal. Once they get to a certain size though, ammonia can become the norm until you move some out. Right before rehoming, I was doing water changes twice a day and using Prime to detox the ammonia. It’s doable. Just test your water every day once they hatch.

Also, be prepared to check your tank for new eggs daily. Once she starts laying eggs, she’s probably going to do it every few days. Be prepared to dispose of some eggs by putting them in the freezer, then crushing them. It feels bad to do, but it is the humane way. It is very feasible that your eggs are fertile since female hold onto male sperm for months. She likely mated in the pet store before you got her. Then again, they could be infertile too. You’ll have to wait and see! How long have you had Zamboni?

@Guppysnail @Cinnebuns

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

I have had Zamboni since May 19th. She was alone in a 'feature tank' at my LFS, however it is clear now she hooked up at SpongeBob's Pineapple Bar prior.

I have begun reading your journal. Due to my limited snail keeping knowledge & supplies, I took your suggestion for the incubator set-up:

Moist towel, barrier, dry towel, eggs. Still floating the incubator in the tank, but due to the water level, the storage container is pressed to the lid, sealing it, so I've shifted it to allow air flow where the lid meets the door.

Now we wait. 

IMG_20230915_111750949.jpg

IMG_20230915_111417887.jpg

IMG_20230915_111458901.jpg