Shutting down my last canister filter?

Galabar

This video makes me want to pitch my Oase because I hate it, but the fact that I got it for free and it keeps a huge amount of media cycled for me also makes me not want to get rid of it ๐Ÿ˜…

I would leave it running until you have a place for all of the media in it, that stuff is like gold if it's that aged and established.ย 

You know, the 10+ year old API Filstar is still a gem of a filter.ย  I don't hate it at all, but it isn't nearly as convenient as the sharks. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm also worried that, if it breaks down, I won't be able to get replacement parts (or replace it).

ย 

• Like 1

@Galabarย Yeah 10+ years is a long time for a motor to continue functioning as normal, it's a valid concern for sure. I will tell you that the only canister filters I would recommend these days are the fluval FX series, so you could technically replace it, but it won't be the same.ย 

I absolutely love my fx6โ€™s, there is literally no replacement for them. Also no replacement for my Simplyclear canister for my outdoor stock tank. I have spongeโ€™s, HOBโ€™s, and canisters; and they all have their necessity. Go with what works for you. Itโ€™s fascinating how influential a video can be.ย 

Edited by mynameisnobody

On 8/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I absolutely love my fx6โ€™s, there is literally no replacement for them. Also no replacement for my Simplyclear canister for my outdoor stock tank. I have spongeโ€™s, HOBโ€™s, and canisters; and they all have their necessity. Go with what works for you. Itโ€™s fascinating how influential a video can be.ย 

I know exactly which video you are talking about.ย  However, I've been running the sharks in the 40b for months (the first several months ago, and the second for at least a month), preparing to shut down the canister filter. ๐Ÿ™‚

tank1.jpg

I also removed a water top-off system. It wasn't needed after I added a glass top:

tank2.jpg

Much cleaner now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by Galabar

On 8/29/2023 at 8:55 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Galabarย nothing passive aggressive about it, I said do what works for you. Sensitivity is also unbecoming.ย 

Yes, you seemed to be somewhat perturbed by the video.ย  I'd say to use what works.ย  If your canisters are working for you, no one wants to take them away.

Passive aggressive statement: "Itโ€™s fascinating how influential a video can be."

Yes, fascinating what a well thought out video might influence some people to do. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by Galabar

On 8/29/2023 at 9:00 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Galabarย Assumptions and debates are a great way to get banned on this forum. If we are assuming, you seem perturbed by my comments, what are you defending exactly? A video?ย 

So are passive aggressive statements targeting our host's videos. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm simply pointing out that we should be collegial here rather than passive-aggressively attacking posters for liking and being influenced by well thought out videos.

Now please stop doing that, or this thread might actually be locked.

Edited by Galabar

So, getting this thread back on track, what do folks suggest for the bottom of the stand?ย  This is a very thick piece of glass with 5 (I think) supports running across/below it (| | | | |):

tank1.jpg

Edited by Galabar