War with Algae: I need Renforcements

JE47

I know that algae is formed by a number of reasons which I have attempted to correct an imbalance of nutrients too much light which has significantly helped decrease the amount of algae that grows in my tank but I still have some pop up especially on the aquarium plants. So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with algae eaters and which ones in you opinion is the best? I do already have some Amano Shrimp which do help but not quite enough.

On 8/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, Pepere said:

I wonder why my snails never prevented me from having nice algae…

Snails are weird, who know why they do the things they do. Maybe yours never acquired the taste, maybe as snail-lits their parents never made them eat their algae for a wholesome, nutritious, balanced diet!!! 🤣

Edited by JoeQ
Forgot words

On 8/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, JE47 said:

I'm undecided between Otos of Hillstream Loaches? Does anyone have experience with them as far as who is the better algae eater?

I have both, hillstreams seem to prefer wall algae while the otos seem to prefer cleaning the plants themselves. Just dont forget to supplement, especially otos who almost seem to try to out compete each other. 

Tank Size: 29 gallons

Sand substrate

Low equipment just HOB filter, and heater

I do not run CO2 I do use a liquid fertilizer and have a plant substrate underneath the sand.

I will try to post photos later tonight or tomorrow

On 8/18/2023 at 3:28 AM, Pepere said:

I wonder why my snails never prevented me from having nice algae…

The only snails that actually eat and make difference on algae is Japanese trapdoors and nerites in my experience. 

I have/had normal ramshorn, MTS, mini ramshorn, bladder snails, assasin snails(carnivore anyway), spixi, japanese trapdoors, mysteries, horned and zebre nerites and rabbit snails. So even if they probably pick on stuff I dont think most are good algae eaters really. I just love them anyway :')