Tank mate options for a Betta

Hello everyone,

I have a 7 gallon tank with only one long-fin male Betta but I wanted to add another tank mate to this tank. What fish are compatible with a betta? I prefer to just add one fish to this tank. I was thinking of adding one Chocolate or Honey Gourami but not sure if these will go well together.

Please share your suggestions! Thank you in advance 🙂

I've got Otocinclus Catfish in my tank with my Betta, and he doesn't bother them at all.  I used to have Neon Tetras in there as well, but they were so sensitive they all died on me.  They were all able to swim away from him when he lurked, so I didn't have to worry too much about them being bothered either.

• Thanks 1

7 gallon tank is pretty small to look for a betta tank mate. 

Bettas character plays a big role for potential tankmates. 2 of 4 males I have would kill anything I put in their tank. My females (6) only hated  guppies with passion so far.

Considering you will add driftwood/rocks/decoration, plants, a heater, filter, etc, you will cut from it's swimming space already. So you will have a 5g or so on hand for actual swimming space.

I wouldn't add anything other than small sized snails or potential shrimp.

On 7/29/2023 at 2:05 AM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

I was thinking of adding one Chocolate or Honey Gourami but not sure if these will go well together.

I did keep my honey gourami and betta together successfully in the past but it was a 42 gallon tank. It was 100cm x 40cmx40cm. And I knew my betta was a peaceful one because it used to live with juvenile endlers, shrimp and snails.

You should avoid keeping labyrinth fish together as they are too similar with each other, will likely result in a negative situation. And that tank size is already quite small as it is.

Enjoy your betta and maybe consider adding a few non-flashy colored shrimp. Black roses work for me in a dark substrate with bettas.

• Thanks 1