Neglected tank...my bad.

FishyJames

Hope everybody has been well.  Not only have I been away from this forum, I've been away from my tank.(29 gallon).  I haven't done a water change in months and blackbeard algea has taken over....can't even recognize the driftwood.  I have guppies that are breeding,  about 7 albino Cory's, 10 kuhli loaches.  I'm going to scrape the glass, scrub the wood and treat withe hydrogen peroxide.   Anything else I should do besides taking more responsible care?  Any chemicals that would help?

I would check params. See if ph has dropped or nitrates risen. Sometime ppl get lax with there tanks, and when they finally find the time to do a water change, they cause a huge ph swing and kill a bunch of fish. Once you know the params, the next steps will be clear.

• Like 1

I would test water and then start to make changes slowly. Hand remove a bunch of the algae, then get some fish or shrimp that will pick at the algae. For hair algae’s I have had good luck with mollies, barbs and Siamese algae eaters. Could also try some Amano shrimp. I’d also look at your photo period and feeding. See if there is anywhere that you can dial back. Good luck!

• Like 1

pH is a little low at 6.6, my tap water runs 7.4.  Nitrates are high...really high...off the chart.  I will start out with small water changes.  All other checks were in line. I am looking for some siamese algea eaters.  Thanks

Edited by FishyJames
Forgot

It's always amazing to me what our fish pets can tolerate, if you're starting out with healthy and robust stock. We sit here on this forum (and others :p) saying 40ppm nitrates is too high you need to change water; you're overstocked you need to change water; your fish is sick because you didn't change enough water; this med or that med; and so on. Sometimes you're just not able to. What happens if you don't? Seems like it's not the end of the world, at least in this case. Maybe not first choice or best practice, but not the end of the world either.  

You got this.