A few comments about the Aquarium Coop heaters.

AndyP

I got 2 100W Aquarium Coop headers in the mail yesterday and I thought I would offer some comments:

1. I wish there was a 200W model.
  2. I know that branding is important. But I wish the white Aquarium Coop logo was in dark grey instead of white. It would help hide it in the tank.
  3. Rather than use suction cups, I would prefer something more secure, such as possibly a magnet (like the Zoo Med MagClip®) or some kind of rod that clips to the edge of the tank.

Opinions?

For bigger tanks 200W would be nice.  However, I like the idea of using two smaller heaters instead of one large one for many applications.

I agree that brand names should be subtle.  Also, it might be cool to move the LED temperature display to the cord (like some other heaters have).

I have 2 29 gallon tanks and 2 55 gallon tanks. Every calculator I do tells me I need 150 watts for the 29 gallon and 250 watts for the 55 gallon. I really don't want to run 3 heaters in the 55 gallon.

3 hours ago, AndyP said:

I have 2 29 gallon tanks and 2 55 gallon tanks. Every calculator I do tells me I need 150 watts for the 29 gallon and 250 watts for the 55 gallon. I really don't want to run 3 heaters in the 55 gallon.

depends on what temp your tank and room normally is and what temp you aim to reach.

My room temp is 22C all year long at lowest, and my 29g was working on a 100w heater to reach 27Cs without any problem. Same goes for my 50cm cube /125 Liters/33g

Edited by Lennie

2 hours ago, Pepere said:

I have 2 29 gallon tanks and a 20 high in a well insulated bedroom that I keep the door closed when not entering or exiting.  I also run a. Dehumidifier in the bedroom to keep humidity below 40% in the winter.  The apartments thermometer stays set at 60 degrees.

I run a single 50 watt heater in each tank.  

Between heat loss from the tanks and heat output from the dehumidifier the room never gets colder than 70 and often is around 74.

I can’t imagine having 150 watts in the tank.

My basement can get down to 68°F in the winter (on really cold days 66°F) and I keep my tanks at 78°F.  In the winter, my living room is at 70°F, with it going down to 68°F during work hours when nobody should be home.

Every online calculator I use for a 29 gallon tank tells me, in the winter, I will need to use a 150W heater for a 29 gallon tank, and at least 225W for a 55 gallon tank.

I had a 100W heater in the basement 29 gallon tank, and in the winter I struggled to keep the water up to temperature.I guess I could keep 1 100W heater in there in the Spring, summer and fall and only throw a second one in for the winter months.

I know basement 55 gallon NEVER got up to temperature in the winter with a 200W heater in there. I had to throw another 100W heater in there.

The problem with this is price. One 300W heater is a LOT cheaper than 3 100W heaters of any brand. I don't mind putting 2 heaters in a tank. But putting 3 is more than I will deal with.

Speaking of margets...

If I glued some epoxied magnets to the back of the heater, would it mess with the thermostat?