decorative wooden bowl as part of hardscape

HelplessNewbie

On 6/19/2023 at 10:54 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Agreed

OK but... It has been reported that Krylon spray paint is safe for aquariums, I used it on my DIY skimmer box for 2 years with no problems. So could HelplessNewbie seal the bowl up with a clear coat of Krylon? 

Or just seal it up with an epoxy. 

On 6/19/2023 at 11:40 AM, madmark285 said:

OK but... It has been reported that Krylon spray paint is safe for aquariums, I used it on my DIY skimmer box for 2 years with no problems. So could HelplessNewbie seal the bowl up with a clear coat of Krylon? 

Or just seal it up with an epoxy. 

I can't weigh in on this, as I do not have personal experience with the Krylon or epoxy products. 

If it were me I would spend the money on the driftwood, otherwise you can lose the money on the fish if they die, plus carbon or other things you'd have to add to the tank to make the water safe again, if it came to that.  We just can't be sure where household items come from or what type of environment they were manufactured in.  The care of contaminant prevention may not be present during the making or transporting of these goods. Also if you've ever cleaned around the bowl (ie: sprayed windex, etc) some cleaner could have hit the bowl, and the wood could have just soaked some of that up.

There are other ways you can save on aquascapes. You can get river rocks from a landscape supply place or a hardware store. Terra cotta (unglazed) is safe for fish tanks. So is PVC pipe.  Lava rock can be found at the hardware store also and is tank safe. Pool filter sand from the hardware store is another way to save money on a setup. DIY lids made from acrylic or from glass, etc.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

There are other ways you can save on aquascapes. 

The wood I used was old dead shrubs on a trail behind my house. This is what they looked like when I first setup the tank. I am moving the barbs to a 40 gallon and I have another piece of wood for the tank. I was debating on clear coating the wood to make it easier to clean. After 2 year, the wood below was dark brown and a bit ugly. 

image.jpeg.c9c2e6ce9d8e3c011ec9505cb08dcfa8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, madmark285 said:

I was debating on clear coating the wood to make it easier to clean

Wood isn't just for looks.  It is part of the ecosystem!  Wood in its natural state will release tannins into the water which are beneficial for fish and other organisms.  The wood, when first placed, will create a thick biofilm. Fish, snails, plecos, shrimp - they love to eat it.  It is rich in fiber and protein.  Or you can remove that thick film with a toothbrush if you don't like it.  Afterwards there will be a thinner, invisible biofilm that resides on the wood.  Invertebrates love that, and it also helps house beneficial bacteria in your tank. Some creatures like plecos eat the wood as part of their normal diet.  Lastly the rhizome plants such as java fern and anubias, as well as mosses, can be attached to the wood.  The texture makes a great surface for their roots to take hold and thrive in your tank.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, madmark285 said:

and a bit ugly

Attach plants!  🙂 The fish will love the cover and security

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:29 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Attach plants!  🙂 The fish will love the cover and security

My barbs are very upset, had to make an emergency move to a bare 29 gallon tank as the above tank sprung a leak and had to be broken down. They are looking at me say, WTF! They love the wood pieces in that tank.

I was thinking the same thing, cover the wood piece with java moss. This will remain a barb tank including tigers. 

On 6/19/2023 at 10:35 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

I have an unused rustic wooden bowl that does not appear to have varnish, polish nor stain. Can I use this in my tank?

If worried, seal the bowl with epoxy.