Sparkling Gourami

I had a group of them in a 20 long.  I don't remember how many.  They were with celestial pearl danios, emerald dwarf rasboras, and Corydoras pygmaeus.  I don't know why, but over a period of several months one species at a time would die, one at a time, until finally there were only three or so of the corys left.  By that time I had added guppies, and they've done fine.

Maybe it was just that they didn't like my hard 8.2 pH water, but I'm not sure.

• Thanks 1

I have 3 in a 33g tank.

They are social so I would say no to keeping them alone. Also, the way they sometimes defend their territory, croak vs each other, etc is a joy to see. With one, you wouldn't witness any of these.

Males are territorial. They are hard to sex, so I ended up having 2 males and 1 female. Even in a 33g planted tank, males swim around each other croaking around 😄 They are hard to sex, but if you can, I def would recommend 1m:2 or3f. I would not crowd a small space tho, you may face issues I think.

What size is your tank?

On 6/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

Licorice Gourami

They are very needy for that very low ph

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 12:18 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

@Lennieits a 40 breeder with Panda Cory’s and Pseudomugil Luminatus. 

Very cool

They would enjoy that big space A LOT. Mine are never shy and always curious about their surroundings

Here are some pics of mine:

image.jpeg.375d77ac93346c02c0b657482786ac78.jpegimage.jpeg.0a400ce3088f02ff15e7ce6ba667ffd7.jpegimage.jpeg.583eae8eb2fea0f4b47b56d77c915489.jpegimage.jpeg.53c5389400da11598fadb071b1d1cea0.jpeg

If you have any questions, I'd like to help. I haven't tried breeding them yet tho, but maybe I may try sometime

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 12:26 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

I’m really looking for a nano center piece  fish for my pandas and blue eyes but I’m torn because both are breeding like crazy. 

@Lenny they are beautiful!

40B is big enough for many centerpiece options.  Sparkling gouramis would be a great addition, however they are pretty small in size. So they would be lost in a 40B as a centerpiece fish I think.

Also sparkling gouramis may go for the eggs or maybe even fry I think. They are always acting like hunting mode on 😄 Never tried them with fry or eggs.

As a centerpiece fish, I would go for something bigger myself. Considering you wanting licorice or sparkling, what about pearl gouramis? They alo have that greyish wild type beautiful look. I think they are super pretty. Also pearl gouramis are known to be calm and peaceful in general.

Pearl Gourami Care: Tank Mates, Setup, Diet & Breeding

Another peaceful option might be honey gouramis! They are sweet. I have one in my 42g tank

honey-gourami-shrimplovers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1